Chapter 5~Slughorn's Potions

I followed behind Luna and Harry as we entered the dining hall. Everyone was already seated and the sorting ceremony had already commenced. Harry Luna and I parted to our tables. I took the seat at the very end of the Slytherin table getting a few glares from the few them that couldn't let the fact that I'd been apart of the DA go. Especially Casey, Mack, and Violet who were always the ones to start the giggles and whispers but when I glanced over at them they looked different. They all looked like they hadn't slept in weeks and didn't even aknoledge my existence when I sat down. Something was off with the three Slytherin girls who usually had the most energy out of everyone. But something was excpecially off when I saw Draco. I knew at this point that he was the one who had broke Harry's nose and left him on the Hogwarts express but he seemed sad, depressed even. He had his head in his hand and was just starring ahead. I starred at Draco until I realized everyone around me was already standing up to leave, I had completely blocked out Dumbledore's speech. I walked out with everyone else but turned around to notice that Draco was still sitting down starting ahead I blinked once before turning around and exiting the dinning hall.

The next day was our first day of classes. It was pretty stressful at first but I was happy to have a free period with Harry and Ron after lunch. We stood on a step and laughed at the first years who attempted to figure of where they were going.

"Potter!" We heard Professor Mcgonnall call out.

"Be right back guys" Harry said to us before he jumped off the step and walked towards Professor Mcgonnagal.

"Haley, look" Ron said pointing ahead of us. I couldn't help but laugh as Ron and I watched two Slytherin third years trip over each other

"Common guys" Harry said as Ron and I jumped down from the step before Harry led us down the now empty corridor

"Where are we going Harry? I questioned

"Mcgonnall'a making us all take slughorns potion class" Harry replied. I signed before rolling my eyes I hated potions

"But I can't take potions, there's quidditch tryouts coming up I need to practice" Rom complained. Harry just shrugged his shoulders as we entered the potions room where the class was already started.

"Ahh Harry my boy I was afraid you weren't going to come" Slughorn said as he heard us enter "I see you've brought some friends.. Haley Silvering isn't it?" He said looking at me.

"Uhm Yes sir" I said quietly

"I'm very sorry about your mother.. she was an extraordinary witch..second in my class, below James Potter of course" He said winking at Harry

"Oh thanks sir.." I said narrowing my eyes to the floor.

"Well I'm awful at potions so I'm just gonna go" Ron Said turning around but Harry stopped him.

"Oh no boy we'll fix you up any friend of Haley and Harry is a friend of mine.. now get your books out" Slughorn said

"Sir I don't think we have gotten our books yet" Harry said

"That's quite alright, there should be a few books in that cupboard over there" he said pointing to a small cupboard in the back of the room. Harry, Ron, and I walked to the cupboard to get the spare books. Harry opened the cupboard to see three books two of them almost looked brand new and the other one looked like it could be a hundred years old. The cover was torn and it looked like pages were missing, Harry, Ron, and I all looked at each other before fighting for the two new books. I managed to snatch one from Ron who managed to get the other one from Harry who was left with the small torn one.

We all walked to the middle of the room where Professor Slughorn was waiting in front of the other students in the class. I stood next to Hermione who was clutching her potions book tight in her hand. "As you all can see I have brewed some concoctions to show you today.." Professor Slughorn said walking to four cauldrons sitting on one of the tables. "Now.. does anyone know what this potion is?" Hermione' s hand shot straight up. "Yes.. Miss?"

"Granger sir" Hermione responded walking slowly over to the cauldron "This is Amortentia...The most powerful love potion in the world.. its rumored to smell differently to each person based on what attracts them, for example I smell" she paused taking in the scent of the potion "Freshly mowed grass, new parchment, and um mint toothpaste." She looked down at the ground before backing away back in the crowd.

"Yes Miss Granger you would be correct, now Amortentia doesn't create love.. that would be impossible but it can cause in infatuation or obsession and that is why it may just be the most dangerous potion in the room.. In October we will be brewing Amortentia and comparing the vast majority of smells it can create based on what attracts us."

The rest of the class went pretty smoothly..We all had a competition on who could brew the best 'Living death" Potion for a vile of liquid luck and Harry won. I noticed that Draco was taking potions too and he was as quiet as I had ever seen. He didn't say anything the whole class. He didn't even make a sarcastic joke when Harry won the liquid Luck over him. Something was wrong and I needed to figure out what.