9. The King's Response.

Both general Azeeion and general Vilu had kept their agreement a secret from everyone else. Even though they both deeply detested each other, each knew of the other's secret feelings for general Denlleonis and as such, they were both forced into becoming allies.

That didn't mean that they had grown fond of each other, quite the opposite. Esclave's hatred for Meccio had reached new heights, matched in intensity only by the loathing that Meccio harbored for him. They had agreed to work together to keep any more competition from appearing, but neither was above petty tricks.

Meccio would steal the buckles from Esclave's saddle and armor, while the brunette would respond by purposefully tripping him up and leaving frogs in his bed. Neither could outwardly go against the other as that would break the terms of the alliance they both detested, so they both were forced to resort to backhanded pranks to irritate each other.

They would often start shoving matches with each other whenever Y/N's back was turned, and pretend to be perfectly disciplined whenever she was watching them. When she would give them tasks to do each would strive to complete his first, while simultaneously sabotaging the other.

General Denlleonis was fully aware of the quarrel occurring between the two generals but pretended to be oblivious. She assumed that the pair were clashing over dominance, and as such her intervention would do nothing to solve the fighting. She just ignored them while waiting for the hierarchy to finally be cemented.

Meccio and Esclave were engaged in violently shoulder-checking each other several paces behind Y/N graey mare atop which she was sitting when she suddenly spoke, halting their escapades. "There's a rider traveling towards the camp, he's coming from the west and has the bags of a messenger. He must be coming with a message from the capital."

Y/N would frequently visit the crest of the small bluff that overlooked the military camp, and it had finally paid off as her vantage point gave her several minutes of warning before the rider arrived. "The other generals will certainly call a meeting to discuss whatever news this messenger has brought," she said as she turned to face the two men who now stood perfectly in order behind her. "Just as they will surely forget to invite me to attend, again - general Vilu I want you to attend the meeting and report back to me on what the news is. Esclave, You stay with me," Esclave smirked in superiority when Y/N said she wanted him to stay while Meccio pouted. "I am in the mood to practice my sparing."

Esclave's face turned pale and the smirk fell off as he realized why she wanted him to stay. He went limp as she grabbed him by the collar of his tunic and pulled him onto the back of her horse. They galloped off, leaving the redheaded general behind them. He snicked at Esclave's misfortune before he walked down the hill to complete his own task.

. . .

The three generals sat around the table in their usual seats within the meeting tent. In the center of the table, a crisp white envelope bearing the crest of the Royal House sat, unopened. All was quiet, as none of the men dared to reach out and open the letter.

"So... Is someone going to open the letter?" Meccio asked, growing board. Unlike the other two generals present, he wanted Y/N to stay. And considering all the trouble their king had through to acquire war aid from Estain it was unlikely that he would send general Denlleonis back, a fact that made the other two men hesitant to read the contents of the letter.

"Of course!" Vanbinicci snapped in response to Meccio's question. He snatched the letter up off the table, "Here I'll do it!"

"You... Aren't opening it," The redhead pressed him after another few moments. "Are you worried about what king Ilidoro has to say about general Denlleonis?"

"Of course not!" Vanbinicci glowered warningly at the younger general, balling his free hand into a fist. "Even our king has to be smart enough to realize that war is no place for a woman."

"You sound confident for someone who still hasn't opened the letter," Meccio said mockingly, his face breaking into a smirk as he pointed at the still unopened letter in clutched in general Arrogari's fist.

Baccoso, who had been observing their back-and-forth tried his best not to chuckle. For seven generations, the Luccian Army had been led by a general from the house of Vilu, and a general from the house of Arrogari. In rank, the two men were always equal, which caused much bickering between them historically. Even Vanbinicci's father and Meccio's were infamous for the quarrels they would have over the management of the army.

With Meccio being as spinless as he was, Baccoso assumed that the days of Vilu generals were over and that the house of Arrogari would finally claim complete control over the army, but from the way that Meccio had effortlessly goaded Vanbinicci into a towering rage, it was clear that the final trumpet had not yet sounded over Vilu's military reign.

Unable to tolerate Meccio's jeering anymore, Vanbinicci tore the envelope open and cast it aside. He turned his attention to the letter within and began to read it. It was short, and direct unlike many letters written by royalty, but he could hardly stomach to read the first few sentences before he cast it aside as well.

"Gah!!" He grunted as he kicked the table leg to vent his frustration at the grim contents of the letter.

"What's it say?" Meccio asked, a slightly teasing tone to his words as he leaned across the table.

"It-It says..." Vanbinicci began but his voice trailed off as he was unable to finish. Swallowing hard and squeezing his green eyes shut he managed to choke out, "Our bastard of a king has made general Denlleonis the sovereign of the Army, above even us three, until our war against Vascini is won."

A/N

I really really hope that things aren't moving too fast. It takes time for all the generals to become yandere for Y/N, so I hope that makes up for the fact that Esclave is already rather yandere and that Meccio is on his way to becoming one. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~