Epilogue - My Little Guy

"Go, Quentin, go!" I jump to my feet, clapping and hooting in the hopes of being heard across the soccer field

Tongue sticking out between his teeth in utter concentration, my son kicks the ball toward the goal. It rolls at a good speed as he runs behind it as fast as his braces allow. Most of his teammates stand back to give him a chance to score. His coach shouts from the sideline, encouraging him to stay focused. Another kick and Quentin is in front of the goal line.

I hold my breath. Last week, he missed, which triggered a two-hour crying fit.

Come on, you can do this.

He aims and shoots before losing his balance and dropping on his side. The ball rolls toward the goal line.

Come on, go in.

Quentin worked so hard on his game and deserves to score. The ball agrees, rolling into the furthest corner of the goal.

"Yeah, that's my little guy!" My enthusiastic applause is joined by other claps and loud whistles as most parents are to their feet.

Quentin gets up with the proudest grin. He gazes across the field and I give him the thumbs up, even though I doubt he can pick me out of the sea of spectators. Everyone settles back down as the referee carries the ball to the middle of the field. After the players line up, the whistle blows, and an initial commotion ensues as the kids try to get to the ball.

Sam, one of the new soccer dads, drops into the seat next to me. "That was epic."

"Yep, I'm very proud of him. How is Jonas enjoying the game?"

"He loves it and has been begging me to allow him to go to CP Soccer camp in San Diego. Is Quentin going?"

"Of course he is." Soccer camp is the highlight of the year. It will be the third time he participates, ever since I started the CP soccer league in California four years ago.

Sam glances around the bleachers. "Felix didn't come again?"

I shrug. "You know Felix. He's always busy."

"I can't believe he's missing out on all this. Sure, when Jonas was born with Cerebral Palsy, Marissa and I were shocked and scared, but these boys have so much to give."

"I agree." Quentin piles on his love tenfold. Felix is truly missing the best part of being a parent. "Speaking of Marissa, how is the enjoying the new job?"

"They are making her work a lot of overtime. It bothers her because she can't spend that much time with Jonas, but you know how it is. Someone has to pay the bills."

I grimace—money has never been an issue. What Felix is lacking in terms of time he spends with his son, he makes up by generous contributions. My guess is that it's his way to deal with the guilt.

"By the way, can you give me the number of Quentin's physical therapist? We still haven't found the right one."

"Sure thing."