Chapter Twenty-Five - Sophie

Sophie didn't know what Dex was grinning about, but somehow it still made her cheeks warm. So she turned her back, rolling her eyes. She pulled out her imparter and called Mr. Forkle, praying he'd pick up.

"Miss Foster?"

"There was a note from the Neverseen at Keefe's house."

A sharp gasp. "Is Mr. Sencen alright?"

"Yeah. He was smart this time and came to tell me and Dex before touching it. So it's still there."

"I will be there in two minutes."

"Wait – where?"

"Mr. Sencen's house, of course. I'm assuming you aren't there yet, but will be soon?"

"Yeah..."

"Then I'll meet you there."

He hung up, his wrinkled face fading from view. Sophie sighed and put her imparter away, turning back around to face Keefe and Dex, who were watching.

"I'm coming with you, Miss Foster!" Sandor insisted, elbowing his way in front of Keefe.

"Fine. Now, are we ready?" Sophie asked. She didn't need to specify for what.

"Duh," said Keefe, looking far too excited for Sophie's taste.

"Keefe, we're not touching it. We're letting the Black Swan handle this one. And you... I'd say to stay away, but you probably wouldn't listen."

"Definitely not," Keefe agreed. Sophie sighed.

"Let's go."

***

"Mr. Sencen, you haven't touched it at all?" Mr. Forkle asked Keefe, his brow wrinkling even more than usual. He was still in normal Forkle form, which wasn't surprising considering other people were likely going to show up at some point.

"Nope," Keefe said. Sophie was tempted to take his hand and see if he was lying, but she stopped herself. Her heart would go wonky and he'd feel it. She'd been lucky he hadn't felt it the last time she tried that.

"Mr. Dizznee, go ahead."

Dex stepped forward, pulled out a gadget, did some techy thing, and stepped back.

"What is it? Could you find anything?" Sophie asked.

"No. I can't detect anything."

"Sandor?" Mr. Forkle asked, gesturing to the envelope on the countertop. Sandor stepped forward, sniffing.

"Ash. That's all, sir," he said. He looked like he wanted to pull Sophie away but was refraining.

"Of course. That's what I thought. Romhilda?"

"Don't call me that!" Ro yelled, baring her teeth, unsheathing her dagger. Sophie saw an eye start twitching.

"My apologies!" Mr. Forkle said hastily, looking around the room as if for an exit strategy. "Ro, I meant Ro. Ro, will you inspect it and see what you can find with those excellent senses of yours?"

"Hers?" Sandor snarled, stepping closer. "My senses are far superior to any ogres!"

"Our weakest Ogre would still be your strongest Goblin warrior," Ro said with a nasty smile and roll of her eyes.

"Oh, dear," Mr. Forkle whispered, and Sophie could totally see where he was coming from.

Sandor seemed to swell in his anger. "So you think! If Goblins and Ogres fought once more, Goblins would always win!"