Chapter Thirty-One - Sophie

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Mr. Forkle asked gently.

She nodded. Shaky, but sure. She wanted to know.

"Alright, then. I have already questioned the two of them myself, but I will not speak of the things I have found until you question the prisoners yourself," Mr. Forkle said quietly.

Then he opened the white door in front of them, and they stepped into Councilor Oralie's pink reception room. Sophie tried to push away the bad memories in that room, but they were pushed away for her when she stepped inside and saw Fintan and Gethen, still in their black cloaks and hoods, sitting up stiffly on a pink couch. They looked ruffled and distinctly perturbed, and very out of place next to the sparkles, cushiony hot pink armchairs, and vanity table.

"They've already recovered from my shock?" Sophie asked Mr. Forkle in whispered surprise.

"Yes, Miss Foster. We really need to work on you charging skills."

"Hey!" Sophie glared at Mr. Forkle. He smiled guiltily.

Gethen cleared his throat angrily from the couch in front of him. Right. Important things. Thanks, Mr. Evil Man, for the reminder.

Sophie stalked closer to the prisoners, after checking to make sure their bonds were secure. She thought for a moment about what she wanted to say. Then she spoke.

"You are both here because I want you to be," Sophie said. "See? Proof. Now, talk. Lady Gisela said you came for backup, and a fat lot of good that did her. I'm actually very grateful for her "backup", though. Speak up and tell us what you know. Everything you know."

"Councilor Oralie will make sure you are both telling the truth," Mr. Forkle said. From a corner of the room Sophie hadn't noticed before, Councilor Oralie stood and walked toward them, a sad smile on her face when she looked at Sophie. She neared the prisoners, then put her hand on each of their shoulders. To Sophie's surprise and relief, Fintan didn't burn the Councilor.

"We have their powers restricted," Oralie said when she noticed Sophie looking. Sophie nodded. This was one case where she certainly didn't mind abilities being restricted.

"Alright now," Sophie said when Oralie was situated with two hands on Gethen and Fintan. "Talk."

Both Fintan and Gethen glared fiery darts of hatred at Sophie, both pressing their mouths into a straight line. Sophie looked helplessly at Mr. Forkle, who sighed.

"Miss Foster, if they refuse to cooperate, I'm afraid you will have to shock them again."

Sophie looked at him in horror. That had been a one-time thing. She couldn't-

"Fine!" Gethen cried. "Fine, I'll talk!"

"Very good," Mr. Forkle said with a smile, and Sophie realized he wouldn't have actually made her shock them. Clever bluff. Clever old elf.

"Go, then," Sophie prompted after a few more seconds had passed without Gethen saying anything. He seemed to be struggling.

Finally, though, he glared one more time at them, then spoke in a rushed voice, as if to keep his words hidden still to himself.

"It all goes back to the humans. When Lady Gisela discovered Vespera's experiments, she was entranced. She tried every way she could to finish what Vespera had started. For a long time, nothing worked. Then, one day, it did. She was just doing another random experiment on a random human, but to her surprise, it actually did what she wanted it to."

"She didn't seem surprised when I saw it in the memory," Sophie said. She clapped a hand over her mouth as soon as she realized she had spoken of the memory, but Gethen only rolled his eyes.