Chapter Twenty-Nine - Sophie/Keefe

Sophie's first thought, as ridiculous as it was, was, duh! Then her mind caught up and started screaming on the inside. On the outside, she kept her face as calm as she possibly could at a moment like that, but it was extremely hard. She didn't think she did it too well.

"You- you-" Sophie stuttered.

"Ye- ye- yes," Lady Gisela mocked, smiling as she threw her head back, letting her hood fall back and her long blond hair fall out.

"Alert!" Keefe yelled from next to Sophie. She'd forgotten he was there. "Major bad guy here! This is the part where everyone beats her up, remember, people?"

Everyone's heads jerked toward them at Keefe's call. Lady Gisela scowled.

"Yes, I must admit that this was a rather unexpected – and clever surprise."

"I know," Sophie said, trying to sound smug and assured for once. "You said no weapons, only natural talent. We're delivering."

Lady Gisela stiffened. "I suppose that is true."

"So, what's our evaluation, as you called it?" Keefe asked.

"We... wanted to speak with you."

Sophie could tell Gisela was trying to sneer, but for once it wasn't working. For once, they had caught her by surprise. Or at least, the Neverseen's plans had been too set to change once they realized what was happening at the house.

"Good. You'd better. Tell us everything you know."

Sophie heard footsteps behind her, and when she glanced back, a stampede of elves were crowding them, ready to attack Gisela. Sophie held up her hands, feeling grateful that for once, she was in charge. The crowd reluctantly slowed.

"Guys, stop. We should let her talk."

Gisela's eyes darkened. "You're not letting me talk. I came here on my own free will – in fact, I forced you all to meet here. I am the one with control over this situation, and don't you forget it."

Keefe smirked. "How could we possibly? We've got you surrounded by incredibly talented elves-"

"All alone-" Sophie interrupted.

"-with no one to help you. Of course you're in charge of the situation," Keefe finished.

Gisela slowly turned her head and looked at her son. "Oh, Keefe. My dear boy. When are you going to realize all you are able to do? When will you realize what a gift I have given you?" There was genuine pity and disappointment in Gisela's voice, and that was when Sophie realized why the woman horrified her so much.

It wasn't because she'd done an experiment on her son.

It wasn't because she'd left a member of her organization alone, crushed under a rock, to save herself.

It wasn't even because of all the horrible things Gisela was doing. Though all those things definitely played a part in it.

It was because she was doing the horrible things – with a good intent. She honestly thought she was doing right for her son. How so, Sophie couldn't fathom. But somehow, it was true. And that was the real reason.

"Never," Keefe said matter of fact-ly to his mother's face. "because you didn't." What exactly had Gisela given Keefe? An ability that he had no idea how to control? That was what Sophie saw...

"I did. And someday soon, you will realize that." Gisela sighed, then turned back to Sophie with a smile on her face. "Besides, Sophie, who ever said I was alone? You really think I would be that foolish?"