Chapter 1

Author's Note: Okay, two more things. One, these first couple chapters are awkwardly short, but eventually I got into the rythym and they get longer, but yeah. Secondly, this new character is my OC I guess you could say, and she is not entirely based off of me. I just couldn't think of a better name. Alright, I'll be quiet now.

 Days later, in a village not too far away, Nicki was sharpening her sword. She had read in the newspaper about the squid attack on the river, and was getting prepared to move out. Sky had sent out drafts for an army to all of the towns in his kingdom.

           She picked up her diamond sword, made from diamonds she had mined herself. Looking into the reflection, brown hair and green eyes stared back at her. When I made this sword, I made it with the promise to use it for the greater good. Well, this is the greatest good I'll ever find. She rose, now decided.

           Quietly avoiding the village guards, she had crept her way into the forest. Looking through her bag, her hand touched the small budder ingot she had found on one mining trip. The yellow, shiny metal, called gold by some, but budder by Sky's people; it was almost as rare as diamonds, but treasured even more. It had been her good luck charm for the longest time, and she figured that it would now serve as her entry to be a recruit. Besides, she reasoned, nobody loves budder more than Sky!

           A loud explosion was heard in the distance. What the…She turned and ran to the source of it, gasping as she entered a clearing at the base of a plateau. It was the start of a long mountain chain that also held a spaceship landing pad. A rocket had missed its mark on the pad and crashed into the forest. Stumbling from the flaming rubble was Jason.

"Oh my gosh, are you ok?"

           Jason usually never took off his thin, blue space suit, or his orange helmet, but his voice could be heard plainly due to a microphone inside.

           "Yeah, ow. I don't know what happened. My radar signals were interrupted, and I couldn't get a constant reading to land." He looked around, confused. "Where's Sky and Ty? I told them I'd meet them here." Speak of the devil, Ty came running in, panic spread across his face.

           "Jason! The castle is under attack!"

           "What? How?"

           "No time to explain! Come on!" Ty turned to Nicki and motioned. "You too! We'll need all the help we can get! Now hurry, they're gonna break through soon!"

           "Who's 'they'?" The question answered itself as they reached the castle. Flying squids, smaller and shorter than their cousins of the sea, but just as deadly, with the ability to shoot flaming balls of fire, were attacking the castle. The front gates were entirely blown away.

           "We need to take these guys one-on-one." Ty pulled out his sword, and Jason did likewise.

           "Uh, you," Ty turned to Nicki, "go inside and see if you can help Sky."

           Nicki nodded and raced through the front gates, gasping at the enormity of it all. Black and gold banners hung on the columns, while paintings ran along the walls, depicting Sky's friends. It was an awe-inspiring structure.

           "Hey you!" Sky shouted from the top of the main staircase, bow pointed at her. "What're you doing here?"

           "I'm here to join your army as a recruit." Nicki wasn't sure to be honored or terrified that her idol was threatening her.

           "How do I know that you aren't a squid spy?" Sky came down, still aiming.

           Oh geez, um... She reached into her bag and pulled out her piece of budder. Sky's expression changed from hostile to understanding. A squid could never get a hold of something as precious as budder. He took it and placed it in his pocket.

           "Right then. Take this. I'll see if I can get close enough to take them down." Sky handed her a bow and arrows and charged over. Jumping up, he grabbed a chandelier and swung back and forth, fighting his way through the advancing squids.

          Outside, Ty and Jason were making quick work of the enemies. Jason used his jetpack to launch himself up with Ty on his back, and the two plowed through them. The three friends seemed to have almost a telepathic understanding of who was doing what, more than likely from their many years as friends and allies.

           Inside however, Nicki was a terrible shot with a bow. Throwing it aside, she pulled out her diamond sword and charged at them. Once the threat had been eliminated from the inside, she went to see where Sky had gone. She looked down the hallways, but nobody was there. Returning to the front entrance, she saw Sky then by the doors, being strangled by a squid.

           "Sky! Don't move!" She shot an arrow at the squid, and it flopped on the ground lifeless.

           "Uh thanks. That little jerk flew at me while my back was turned." Coming outside, the remaining forces were retreating. Sky joined Jason and Ty and high-fived them.

           "Good to see you Jason! Sorry for the informal welcome, but I had my hands full for a while."

           "I can see that. What happened?" Jason asked.

           "I have no idea. I've never seen squids like this before. I got into a bit of a tight spot, but luckily," He nodded to Nicki, "I had a little help."

           "Yeah, who are you anyway?" Ty asked, turning to her.

           "I'm Nicki, and I am now Sky's recruit."

           "Ah, so Sky does have an army. It's about time." Jason shook his head. "I'd invite my Stars to assist you, but they're just as occupied with the mob situation. It seems like the hostile mobs spawn twice as quickly at night than usual."  

           "Same here. My Dead Army has been up to their elbows lately with the population of creepers." Ty cleaned off his sword. 'Creepers' were green figures that explode if you come near them, with a nasty habit of popping out of nowhere.

           "Well what are we going to do about it then?" Nicki piped in.

           "That's the thing." Jason determined. "This all can't be natural; something or someone had to have teamed up with the squids on this. Someone with a lot of power over the night."

           Sky went pale. "You don't mean..."

            "Yeah. Herobrine."