Chapter 4

"So, how did you guys meet in the first place?" Nicki asked the group. She seemed to notice that Mitch was a realistic, logical thinker, while Jerome was a more carefree, impulsive person like Quentin.

"Well," Mitch giggled, smiling, "When I was a little kid, I got picked on for being too skinny. They’d call me string bean and stuff like that. Jerome saw me getting beat up one day and chased them off."

“They were scared-er than a cat in a doghouse!” Jerome laughed.

Once they knew where they were going, it did not take the group long to get to the source of the signal. In the cool night air under the tall jungle trees, they looked around for where Herobrine supposedly was. But there was nothing there but a pond and trees.

"But...he's got to be here..." Ty said, checking the tracker.

"Maybe you should recalibrate that thing." Mitch sighed.

"It doesn't work that way." Jason explained, taking it. "It follows a direct signal that comes from the person, and according to this, he's in the pond. Is that right?"

"Well, he might not be in the pond, but under it." Nicki suggested.

"Good idea! But what could be down there?" Jerome asked.

"You don't have to tell me twice. Geronimo!" Quentin dived into the pond as naturally as a bird in the sky. After a few moments, he surfaced. "You guys might want to check this out." He motioned them to come, and went down again.

"Uh-oh..." Nicki could already tell that this would not end well.

The pond's waters were relatively clear and gave it a shallow appearance, but as they sunk deeper and deeper down into the dark, it seemed like it would never end.

The group was losing oxygen quick (except Jason with his spacesuit), and Quentin tried his best to keep them going. When it seemed like they would all suffocate, the water suddenly stopped beneath them, and they flopped to the ground, gasping.

"Where...the heck..." Ty panted.

"Is this area bewitched?" Mitch muttered. "How does this make sense?" Just above them, the pond water stopped like a wall.

"This must be it then." Jason determined. "We're really close. Get ready." They got out their weapons and headed down a damp tunnel. The air was heavy with the scent of squid. Finally reaching the end, they found themselves at an underground lake.

"This is defying all logic..." Mitch shook his head.

"Who cares about logic?" Jerome urged. "There's an island in the middle; let's go!" They found boats at the shore, and quickly shoved off on them. The darkness around them was eerie, and so was the black water they paddled in. As they grew nearer, two cages became visible, but had no one inside them.

"Now this is messing with my head." Jerome was puzzled. "Who makes a secret underground base with cages and everything, but leaves it abandoned? What does the tracker say?"

Jason turned it on, but frowned. "No reception down here. Too far down to get a signal."

"Great."

Nicki examined the cage nearest them. It had been obviously broken out of, and the door was found in pieces yards away from there. As she picked up the shattered lock, she shuttered.

"What's up Nicki?" Ty asked.

"I don't know; it feels like this area is significant somehow. It fact, I know it is." What is it that I’m sensing?

"Hey, what's going on with your necklace there?" Jerome noticed, pointing. Her small amulet was glowing.

"What is this...?" She suddenly felt a pull towards the opposite shore. Sky? Is that you? "Follow me!"