Chapter 6

I was in a melancholy mood; more than when I first woke up here. The vines couldn't get out from under the covers and I refused to eat breakfast. I'd hide under the bed, but that would be childish and undignified; hiding under the covers aside.

Evil-Vampire-Leader arrived right on time. Since there wasn't a clock in this room and I didn't have a watch, I assumed it was midday. My sixth sense was telling me not to hide from this guy, but what did it know. It didn't warn me that my old home wasn't safe and it didn't help me find a way out of here!

From under the covers, I felt Evil-Vampire-Leader sit across at a distance from me. The room we're in is ruffly the size of a royal suite, but to me, it wasn't enough. No amount of distance will ever be enough.

"Concealing yourself in this manner is childish," he said gently. "There is no reason for you to hide from me."

Fuck you, asshole! I mentally shouted as I revealed my hand long enough to give him the Finger.

His chuckle sent shivers down my spine. What concerned me is that they weren't shivers of fear.

"You do not have to look at me. You do not even have to face me if you prefer," he began. Was it my imagination, or was there a pleading tone in his smooth voice? "But I would be very grateful if you came out from under the covers," he finished.

I refused. Several minutes passed before two of the dainty vines came to me under the covers. One was holding a small notebook, the other looked like its head had been dipped in mashed blueberries; if the smell was anything to go on.

I watched as that vine wrote: Please come out

I shook my head vigorously.

Then it wrote: If you give him this boon he will answer all of your questions first

Judging by the lack of punctuation marks, the vines must not have had an education in grammar; let alone Earthside grammar.

"Fine." I sighed in a whisper as I rolled my eyes.

The vines excitedly left as I sat up. Luckily, I sat up with my back to Evil-Vampire-Leader.

"Thank you." I heard him whisper to the vines.

Back ramrod straight, head lifted, eyes forward, both arms and legs crossed. That was my posture as he addressed me.

"I am guessing your first question is how you got here?" When I didn't respond he continued; "I brought you here straight from your room."

It took everything I had not to face him, but I did stiffen up more than I already had.

"How did I do that when the Ganhada have wards surrounding their lands, you ask?" He hesitated a minute before answering; "Remember when I spoke to you as that Svartan: Jericho?"

I felt my stomach drop and blood drain from my face.

"I had one more morphing potion left and I used it to enter the Ganhada's lands and bring you here," he finished. Then he added after a pause; "You must have used a great deal of magic restoring those souls back to their bodies. You were practically half-dead when I saw you lying face down on your bed."

I was half-dead because I used Earth Magic to clean my house, I silently told him. Elemental Magic always drains me, especially after sharing my powers with the Shamen and Soul Reapers.

"Now that that question is answered, you must be wondering where here is."

No shit, Sherlock!

"We are in Otherworld; inside my lair to be exact. I made this room special for you. Yes, we are inside a cave and yes we are in one of the underground chambers."