Chapter 7

My feelings of tranquility didn't last long as questions of who or what impersonated Galen when he, or she, talked to Gregory.

Could it have been someone trying to impress their master's son? I thought. Then memories of High Pitched Donald's temperament invaded my brain. Or could it have been one very temperamental demon?

Or is there a spy hiding among the vampires and demons with a hidden agenda? Other-Me said as flashbacks of the Shamen's words that night at the tribal meeting repeated themselves in my head.

I shuddered and curled into a ball. I was lying on the bed, per the norm, waiting for Galen to return. For reasons I didn't want to examine, I was anxious and excited for him to come back. Every time I thought or said his name, my heart would skip a beat while my insides warmed and danced.

I awoke to the vines shaking me. "Wha-?" They swiftly covered my mouth before quickly ripping off the covers as both the rose and jungle vines wrapped me in another cocoon and hoisted me to the ceiling.

From the thin cracks of my cocoon, I saw the rest of the vines uproot the carpet, bury it and the bed as they dropped them into a hidden compartment underneath the bedrock before sealing it. The walls shook off their color as the thicker jungle vines hid the bathroom door. The last thing that happened was the light going out; now the entire room was pitch-black. From my cocoon, I heard voices approaching.

And they weren't friendly voices either.

Just then a light appeared from below. It was a torch and it was coming from the entrance. At first, I was worried about the vines catching fire, but the smell of flowers overpowered the smell of smoke; in fact, it was so overpowering it made me gag.

That was when a demon burst into the room.

"Bowels of hell!" he exclaimed in offense to the smell before gagging. "That's potent!"

The other demons and two vampires agreed with him and hurried out of the room. Twenty minutes later, Galen, dressed in his biker's outfit, and a group of vampires, plus the other demons and vampires from before, entered. By now the overwhelming smell of flowers had dwindled to nonexistence, but that could be because I'd gone nose blind.

Galen stood aside as he let the vampires and demons look about the room.

"Are you satisfied, Nadine, Marrowmuncher," he said coldly to one of the vampires and the demon next to her. I couldn't see them clearly so other than Galen, I don't know which demon or vampire spoke.

"Yes, my lord," the demon from before said dejectedly. I couldn't tell from my cocoon, but his tone sounded like it held a note of fear in it.

"I am satisfied." A woman's voice, I'm assuming Nadine's, said; also dejectedly. Only there wasn't any fear in her tone, she simply sounds like she was accepting the consequences before they happen.

"Good." I heard Galen say before his smooth voice was replaced by the demon's, Marrowmuncher, screams. If I could have moved my arms, I would have covered my ears. Luckily, the dainty vines did that for me.

After he was done screaming, there was a blinding light and I heard a woman screaming. I started to smell smoke and sulfur dioxide before the woman's screams were replaced by gurgling, then she was silenced. I didn't need to see to know she was dead.

When her screams were silenced, the light went out and Galen spoke. "Let that be a warning to anyone else who dares to question me."

His frosty tone sent chills down my spine and I shivered; the vines held me tighter.