Chapter One, Part One: Encounter

"In today's news: 'International Turmoil'.

It has been 48 hours following reports of a spike in supernatural activity occurring all over the world leaving countries on high alert. According to the investigations currently underway, it is said that all instances appear to stem from the creation of portals. The portals have since disappeared, yet the aftermath of this phenomena has resulted in a noticeable change, specifically in the wildlife. 'Quirked animals' are said to have begun inhabiting the areas where the portals had manifested. In Indonesia, pictures posted on social media show a group of mole-like creatures with steel claws drilling into the earth; and in Canada a video from a wildlife researcher spotting a dog-like creature with a pointed tail and curved horns spitting fire from its mouth..."

          To say that (Y/n) was frazzled by this information would be an understatement. The young Ranger stood on the pavement of an unknown street within an unknown city listening to a broadcast presented by people unknown to her. She was one person within a crowd of many, watching the grid of televisions displayed at the window of a small tech shop. The air of uncertainty was palpable within the people surrounding her. Conversations about animals having "quirks" was the hot topic. Words of fear, anticipation, and curiosity fly from the people's mouths, intertwining into a tangle of chatter.

"Oh my goodness, look at them! I would've never thought it to be a dog if I wasn't told."

"Man...I guess if humans can have quirks, animals gaining some of their own was kinda inevitable, yeah?"

"Don't say that! This has to be some sort of mistake..."

"This isn't good! We're already dealing with the fall of All Might and now we have to deal with this?!"

The commotion had gotten louder and incomprehensible leaving (Y/n) to stop listening. She separated herself from the crowd. Taking a deep breath, she adjusts the red duffel bag she carries with her, keeping it close to her body like it was her lifeline. It might just be, considering the circumstances. She had no shelter apart from a makeshift tent she possessed, and the food she had been eating upon arrival two days ago had since depleted. She wasn't only feeding herself...and while (Y/n) was sufficient in money, the girl highly doubted that this world's currency was the Pokémon Dollar. Pokémon had never even existed here.

If the commentary wasn't clear enough, in this world, Pokémon had never existed until those portals had opened.

          Perhaps the extent of how big of a problem this was didn't catch up to the young ranger until she thought about it in further detail. Perhaps the shock of waking up on some random beach with minor injuries and a wet uniform took all of her attention. It's entirely possible that all her time and energy was focused on making sure she and her pokémon party who suffered the same fate could effectively recover. Though, she neglected to consider the bigger picture – the grand question: What do I do now?

Panic began to overwhelm (Y/n) but she suppressed thee tears that threatened to spill. Pokémon are especially perceptive to their trainer's emotions both inside and outside their capsules. Her companions were a rather rambunctious and protective bunch know to break out of their pokéballs to aid her, but she couldn't risk that. Instead she mulled over a potential plan of action as her feet carried her any which way. Down streets and past crosswalks, (Y/n) took in her surroundings: skyscrapers as tall as the eye can see, bustling city folk, narrow alleyways, advertisers and advertisement posters, vending machines that light up when anyone happens to walk near them, stairs to the subways. Despite the location being different, the girl couldn't help but draw similarities to all the cities she had traveled to back in her own world like Rustboro City in Hoenn or Goldenrod City in Johto. Both were just as busy and energetic, complete with districts lined with stores and fast-food spots with corporate buildings being just around the corner. Though, it was by no means as Castelia City in Unova. That was a completely different beast.

          By the time the top ranger had collected her thoughts, the sun had since set over the horizon casting a warm yellow-orange glow through the metropolitan, welcoming shadows to form underneath the feet of passersby. (Y/n) had her head lowered (e/c) eyes trained on the asphalt beneath her. After weighing her options, all she could think of was either settling for another day of living under her tent or simply searching for enforcement, the only viable option of helping her. The caveat to that decision, however, was that her lack of identity could possibly garner suspicion and make her situation worse than they already are. She was at an impasse. The young Top Ranger had never been stuck with so little options and it was upsetting. With a stamp of her foot she settled on taking repose in a café within her vicinity, unintentionally ignoring the welcoming words of the employees stationed behind the counter in her frustration and taking a window seat. (Y/n) failed to notice the inquisitive looks she received as she kept her eyes out the window, especially the person she had unceremoniously sat in front of.

          "Well, if you're going to take a seat there, the least you could do is acknowledge my existence," (Y/n)'s eyes widened as her head snapped to the woman sitting opposite of her in the booth that she had sat. With bright blue eyes staring at her past the bangs of her deep purple hair, her upper body clad with a red camisole reclined in the place she sat. It was clear that she was mildly displeased at what happened. The girl sputters abashed by her lack of awareness before bowing her head.

          "Sorry! I d-didn't mean to not notice you. I just have a lot on my mind I guess..." Her eyes averted from the woman, she wanted to look anywhere but towards her pointed stare.

          "Oh yeah? Then I'll bite. If you're gonna keep me company I'll settle for a little small talk." The woman takes a sip of the coffee in hand, but the hesitation from the girl across from her gets her guessing. "School trouble? Family issues maybe?" She gasps. "Is it about a boy?" (Y/n) shakes her head profusely.

          "No! Nothing of that sort!" Oh Arceus, is she really the person she has to air her troubles out to? A brief moment of pause results in (Y/n) deciding to take the opportunity. This woman is just a regular civilian. What's the worst that could happen? It's not really like she had any better options. Under the blue-eyed woman's expecting gaze (Y/n) shifts in her seat.

          "It seems that I'm kinda lost...I don't know where I am or why I'm here..." The woman's gaze appears to transition into a deep frown and (Y/n) gets progressively nervous but resists the urge to clamming up. "I...washed up on the beach near here...and I don't really have a home to go back to, if that makes any sense...I've been deciding on whether I should talk to law enforcement about my predicament, but I just feel that nothing good will come of it...y'know." The steel grip (Y/n) kept on the duffel next to her doesn't evade the eyes of Kayama. The words spoken from the teen were undoubtedly distressed, the contained uncertainty shown in their eyes coupled with the tenseness of their body supported that. It'd be foolish to dismiss and turn a blind eye to this. Yet, the reason to why she hadn't already risen from the booth to take the girl to the police department was because of her last phrase. "I feel that nothing good will come of it." Is (Y/n)'s relationship with authorities a sour one, or is there something else that she's deliberately not telling her? Kayama let out a hum before viewing the skyline. The sun had taken rest for the day and streets of Musutafu were dimly lit by the various streetlamps and remainder of open shops on the strip.

          "I know talking to authorities isn't really a thing people like to do. But if you are is in as much of tough spot as you say you are, don't you think it's at least worth a shot?"

          "If I may be honest, at this point I don't think I have much of a choice," with up-turned brows and a embarrassed scratch of the cheek, (Y/n) sighs in resignation. "I just don't know where to start, I've basically been wandering all day."

          "Well, lucky for you I know exactly how to get you there." Downing the remainder of her caffeine, Kayama motions (Y/n) to follow suit to which the young ranger obeys, securing her crossbody comfortably.

          "Thank you, Ms..."

          "There's no need for the formality. Just call me Midnight for now."