Chapter Eight: Dave

Disclaimer: 'I Can't Fight This Feeling' is copyright © REO Speedwagon.

Author's Note: I totally made up the exhibit mentioned in this chapter so don't expect to find it on a visit to the New England Aquarium. I kind of wish it was real though.

Diana and I were mostly silent as we strolled from exhibit to exhibit at the New England Aquarium and she was still slightly jumpy. Even though she had kissed me back on Beals Street, she still wasn't completely comfortable with me. That very fact ate at something inside me. A sign off to the side caught my attention.

The Soft Rock Jelly Fish Light Show

Every 30 Minutes!

I looked down at my watch. A show would be starting in five minutes. "What do you think, cara mia?" I got Diana's attention and nodded towards the sign.

She nodded with a small smile and allowed me to take her hand and pull her through the door. On the other side, we found ourselves alone in a small auditorium. Special seats, that faced upwards looked up a huge water-filled tank.

I took a seat just as the lights went down. Instead of allowing Diana to pass me and take a seat in the chair beside me, I pulled my introverted love interest to sit with me. The way the chairs were designed, this had the effect of her pretty much laying on my chest as we gazed up at the tank. I'm not sure how I expected Diana to react to our intimate position but I certainly hadn't expected her to do what she did. Placing her hand on my chest, she actually cuddled closer to me. I wrapped my arms around her and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Suddenly, a black light was shined into the tank above us and hundreds of fluorescent blue jellyfish could be seen serenely drifting through the water as the auditorium's sound system began playing.

"I can't fight this feeling any longer,

And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow.

What started out as friendship has grown stronger.

I only wish I had the strength to let it show..."

Diana picked up her head and looked at me for a moment before leaning forward and softly pressing her lips to mine.

"And even as I wander,

I'm keeping you in sight.

You're a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter's night..."

Diana actually giggled when we broke apart. "You know," she whispered, "this would be so romantic if the song wasn't so cheesy."

I just shook my head and chuckled before pulling her lips back to mine.

"Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore,

I've forgotten what I started fighting for.

And if I have to crawl upon the floor,

Come crashing through your door,

Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore."