Chapter Fifteen: Diana

Disclaimer: The song lyrics in this chapter are copyrighted to the legendary Ella Fitzgerald. Beehive, call Beyoncé what you want but don't call her the queen. That will ALWAYS be Ella.

I was engaged. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew that Dave loved me, but I hadn't known that he loved me enough to put a ring on it.

After the fireworks and a couple of glasses of champagne we had departed from the park and started our short drive home. I was quiet for most of the five-minute journey and I guess this concerned Dave.

"Are you okay, mia amore?" He asked as he pulled the car into the driveway and killed the engine.

"I'm blissfully happy," I looked at him and smiled. "I guess I'm also still in a little bit of shock."

Dave leaned across the center console and gave me a quick kiss. "As long as you aren't regretting this, cara."

"Never. I could never regret you." I reached up and lightly stroked his cheek, his whiskers tickling my fingers.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, sweetheart." He kissed me once again.

His words held so much conviction that I had no choice but to believe him.

***

I kicked off my shoes the moment we stepped through the front door and plopped down into Dave's favorite armchair, knowing full well that he was probably going to make me get up, so he could sit down. I was always cool with that though. It meant that I got to sit in my favorite spot...on his lap.

Dave didn't come over and change the seating arrangements. Instead, he walked over to the record player that we kept set up under the window and he put on my all-time favorite Ella Fitzgerald. Then, he walked over and held out his hand to me. "Dance with me, la mia anima."

When he spoke Italian, I couldn't resist him. I took his offered hand and allowed him to pull me to my feet and into his arms. We started gently swaying to the music.

"They told Marconi,

Wireless was a phony.

It's the same old cry,

They laughed at me wanting you,

Said I was reaching for the moon.

But, oh, you came through,

Now they'll have to change their tune.

They all said we never could be happy,

They laughed at us and how!

But, ho, ho, ho,

Who's got the last laugh now?"

Emotion piled up in my chest, overwhelming me, and I couldn't have stopped the happy tears from falling even if I had tried.

Dave simply smiled and leaned down and kissed them away.

"Dave," my voice was breaking but I couldn't help it. "I love you so damn much, baby."

"I know, mia amore. I love you too," he assured me. "Tu sei quella che stavo aspettando," he told me reverently right before his lips came down on mine.