Uno

Matt's POV

I lay on my bed, holding my phone in one hand and watching the sport highlights on my TV. My backpack is at the edge of my bed, still unopened since school, at least two hours of homework sits inside. On my floor, a suitcase is half packed. It's a week long vacation to some cold mountain place. I'd rather be here and practicing lacrosse, I'm missing an entire week of practice and a game.
  "Matt I'm ordering Pizza, bring me 10 dollars!" Michaela yells from downstairs. I groan and roll over in bed. I open my draw and sift through the random objects till I pull a 10 dollar bill out.

I hurry down the large spiral staircase into the foyer, down the small hallway, Michaela and Zoe sit on the large sectional couch in the living room.
  "You better be paying too," I tell Michaela. She stares at me and makes an annoyed face. She holds up the 20 dollar bill from her money stash. I look over at Zoe who's hiding a laugh.
  "I'm sorry, but when you guys fight it's the funniest thing ever," she says. Michaela nudges her which makes her laugh even more. Zoe is that loud, funny friend who's laugh is so contagious. I look away to hide my smile before turning back to her and Michaela. Suddenly the doorbell rings, Michaela springs up from the couch.
"I'll get it, can you two go and grab drinks from the kitchen," she orders me and Zoe. I wait for Zoe to get up from the couch before walking into the large kitchen. Zoe hops up onto one of the stools at the white marble island, while I reach into the fridge.
  "Is Luke coming?" She asks.
  "Yeah why?" I ask.
  "Don't even act like you don't notice," Zoe says. I turn around and raise an eyebrow. She crosses her arms and smirks.
"Luke and Kay are obsessed with each other," she says. I open a can of soda and nod.
"Luke has liked her since freshman year," I tell Zoe. I myself have never been that lovey-dovey type of person, but Michaela has this effect on people, whenever she's in the room or around someone it's instantly brighter and happier, whenever Luke is around her he's always smiling and always so happy.
  "Zo, Hannah's here!" I hear Michaela yell from the foyer. Zoe smiles and jumps down from the stool.
  "He makes her happy," she says quietly before leaving. I watch as she walks out, her silky dark hair falls down her back. I sigh and walk up the stairs back to my room. I lay back down on my bed and wait for Luke and Brody to show up.

Once everyone shows up, we all sit in the living room on the large sectional couch.
  "Brody your turn," Michaela says. Brody, who sits next to me leans and grabs a card from the deck on the table in front of us. He leans back and quickly shows me his uno cards.
  "Cheaters!" Zoe yells, she points her finger towards us.
  "What are you taking about," I smirk. She sighs and places her one card down on the table.
  "I win anyways," she says with a smirk across her face. Brody starts arguing with her while the rest of us tease her.
  "I think the foods here," Michaela says. She gets up from the couch and starts to walk to the foyer.
  "I'll come help," Luke offers, he jumps up from beside me and follows Michaela. Zoe and I catch glances and smirk. I turn to Mason who sits next to Eli.
  "Are you going to admit who that girl was?" I ask. Mason raises his eyebrow and puts down his cards, even Eli looks over at him surprised.
  "Who?" Mason asks obliviously.
  "The one in the parking lot," I say. I can see Mason's cheeks reddening up, but he quickly runs his hand through his hair to come off nonchalantly.
  "Anna, I was just helping her pick up her books Matt," he snaps. I put my hands up defensively, I could tell Mason didn't want to be pushed over, but I found enjoyment in it.
  "The one with red hair?" Brody asks. Mason nods.
  "Yeah," he says.
  "She's in my English class," Brody says. "Super smart."
Mason could use a nice smart girl, someone just like him.

  The cheesy pizza melts in my mouth as I take a bite, everyone stands around the kitchen talking to each other. Hannah and Zoe talk with Eli and Mason, Luke and Michaela flirt with each other and I sit on the counter with Brody.
  "Heard your out for a week?" Brody asks.
  "My mom wants to go up to Colorado for a week," I say and shake my head. Brody laughs and takes off the red and white flannel he wears over his grey hoodie.
  "Its gonna be hard without you," he says. I wave my hand.
  "Nah," I say.
  "You scored 13 goals and we've only had 3 games," Brody argues.
  "Come on you'll be fine, they have you," I say. Brody shrugs and continues to eat his pizza, my eyes wander off to Luke and Michaela. Michaela beams and doubles over with laughter while Luke aggressively talks about something. Michaela has always been able to easily get into relationships, make good friendships. I've tried for years to find the right girl, but every single girl I've dated has used me for hookups or for show.

"What's up Lukie," I tease and wrap my arm around Luke. Michaela sits up on the counter with a cup in her hand.
"MattyB," Luke says back and laughs.
"What's going on over here?" I ask curiously. Michaela confidently sits up and smiles.
  "The lacrosse game next week," she says.
  "I wish I could just stay home from this trip," I say. Michaela crosses her arms and rolls her eyes.
  "What Kay?" I ask.
  "We're going to have fun, and once we get back you'll be able to get right back on the field," she says. As she says that, a chill runs up my spine, and I get a weird feeling. Michaela goes back to talking with Luke, so I shrug off the eeriness and continue to talk to them.