The Last Text

Mason's POV

My phone starts ringing next to me. I lift my head from the pillow and rub my tired eyes. I stop the alarm on my phone and roll over in my covers. I glance over at the suitcases along my wall, all packed and ready for today. I easily hop out of bed and stretch, out my window I can see a woman walking her dog by, the white dog barks at a bird on our lawn. I quietly walk out of my room, Michaela and Matt's doors are both shut, they're probably still asleep at 8AM. Downstairs, my dad sits in a smaller sitting room just off the foyer. A cup of coffee steams on the table beside him while he scrolls on his laptop.
"Hey Mason," he says, hearing my footsteps. I walk into the room and sit down on one of the leather chairs.
"Morning Dad," I whisper. "Where's mom?"
"She ran out to grab some last minute food for the drive," he informs me. I nod and yawn.
"Yesterday my teacher asked if I wanted to do a tutoring program," I tell him. He closes his laptop lid so he can focus on me.
"They said you need tutoring?" He asks surprised.
"No, they want me to tutor kids," I explain.
"I think that's wonderful," he smiles. "It looks great on college applications."
I nod and smile, he's proud of me, unlike Matt who would've made fun of me if I told him.
"Go get some breakfast, I have to go wake up the other two," my dad says. I nod and watch as he slowly gets up from the chair, his work papers are scattered across the coffee table. He works in the government, which is why we have so much money. I get up and walk into the kitchen to grab an apple out of the fruit bowl.

After five minutes, Michaela drags herself into the kitchen, her hair is knotty and mascara from last night is below her eyes.
"You look dead," I say.
"I feel dead," she groans. She wraps her blanket tighter around her and leans against the counter.
"I'm ready to just leave," she says.
"Me too, moms out right now," I tell her. She looks down at the floor and seems to be off, like shaken up.
"Kay you good?" I ask. She hesitates and comes over closer to me.
"I had the weirdest nightmare last night," she says. I rest my head on my hand and lean in to hear her.
"I can't remember all of it, but there was this crash and it was really bad, but I can't remember who was in the cars," she says. I lean back and stare at her, she's always had the weirdest dreams, but this one has a weird feeling to it.
"It's probably just a random dream, I just thought it was weird since we're driving far today," she adds. I hesitate, her uneasiness fades and she smiles, almost as if her dream disappeared. I try and brush away what she told me and help her with breakfast.

"Kids come on!" My dad yells up the steps. We wait on Michaela and Matt to bring down their suitcases. Matt comes down first, carrying his small grey suitcase, then Michaela comes with her three large bags packed full of whatever she brought.
"Are you planning on living there?" My dad teases her.
"I'm a girl, I have to pack more clothes than you," she replies. He laughs and opens the door. We all walk to my dad's black SUV, my mom already waits in the passenger seat.
"I'm not sitting between you two," Michaela says disgusted. Matt rolls his eyes, but let's her slide in first to the end, then he gets in the middle. The three of us cram together in the backseat.
"Everyone ready?" My mom asks.
"Yup," Michaela smiles, she sticks in headphones and already disconnects with the rest of us. Matt scrolls through his phone, his Instagram feed is just a bunch of girls in bikinis. I rest my head against the window and close my eyes.

4 hours later

Michaela's POV

"Matt chill dude," Mason complains. I look over, Matt takes off his hoodie, causing his elbows to go into Masons side.
"Cool it Mason I'm sweating," Matt snaps. I roll my eyes and try to ignore them. I'm close with my brothers and love them to death, but being in cats with them is the absolute worst, especially when it's a 24 hour car ride.
"Guys can you go an hour without fighting," my mom says.
"Masons complaining about everything," Matt defends himself.
"Okay sure," Mason says. My mom sighs and shakes her head. She glances over at my dad and he quickly starts a new conversation.
"Matt how did you do on your math test?" He asks. It probably wasn't the best question to ask since grades and school always bring up fights between Matt and my mom.
"Good I think," Matt stammers. He knows what he got, everyone got their grades yesterday.
"You need to start taking school more seriously, honestly Matt," my mom says aggressively. Matt title his head back and closes his eyes, he knows my mom is about to go on a whole rampage about school.
"Mom I'm trying," Matt says.
"Your too busy with lacrosse to care about school," she says.
"Mom I'm not I'm balancing them," he argues. I can see he's helpless and I feel bad, Matt really puts no effort into school, but he has a lot of determination, if he used that towards school instead of lacrosse he'd be doing so much better, but he's an amazing lacrosse player, best in the state according to several articles written about him.
"Is that why you failed the last 3 tests," she brings up. Matt rubs his forehead and I start to feel more sympathetic, he's a pain sometimes but my mom is really digging at him right now.
"Mom, in Matt's defense I also failed one of the math tests we took this month, our teacher is super tough," I justify. Matt looks over and mouths thank you to me. I give him a small smile. My mom just shakes her head and rubs her temples.
"I know your trying, if it's that hard we can find you help," she offers more calmly. Matt doesn't reply, he just goes back to texting his friends.

I look out the window, the road is a two lane road, surrounded by green trees. It's not very busy only a few cars pass as we drive. This entire time all I've thought about was the nightmare I had last night. It felt like I was there, and the crash it was so vivid. There was blood everywhere and shattered glass along the street, this entire car ride I've been so uneasy about this, even Mason looked freaked out when I told him about it this morning. My phone starts buzzing in my pocket, and I take it out to check my messages.

Hannah: hey Kay, did you leave yet?
Michaela: I did like 4 hours ago, Matt and Mason are driving each other crazy
Zoe: typical, we caught you flirting last night!

I flip my phone down and make sure Matt doesn't see. I smile thinking of last night. Just being around Luke makes me happy, he's such a kind and fun person. Matt would definitely think it's weird, which is why I'm not telling anyone anything about my feelings towards Luke besides Zoe and Hannah.

Michaela: Matt is right next to me
Hannah: I feel like Matt would just go with it, he's chill
Zoe: Matt would be so chill about you two dating
Michaela: woah slow down zo, we're just friends right now
Zoe: friends who flirt ;)
Michaela: my phones going to die I have to shut it off, but Zoe your so annoying
Zoe: u know u luv me!
Hannah: drive safe we love you Kay!

I move my fingers across the keyboard to type I love you both more but just before I can hit the send button, a loud horrifying scream escapes my mom's mouth. My eyes dart up to see another car coming at us at full speed.
"Nate!" My mom screams at my dad. I quickly grasp onto the car door handle because it's the only thing I can find to grab.
"Mom!" I yell.
"It's going to be ok!" She screams. My brothers yell with fear. My dad quickly jerks the steering wheel, but it doesn't help, our car turns sideways, making the impact on my side. I close my eyes and brace myself. The last thing I see is the car coming straight for me, before the world fades away. Maybe it wasn't just a dream.