Chapter 22

"The new deputy of ThunderClan will be Bluewhisker!" Firestar announced and gave his sister an optimistic and encouraging lick.

Bluewhisker dipped her head respectfully and began to organize patrols.

Firestar looked at Feathermist. She was expecting his kits! She was in nursery resting and eating and chatting with other queens.

Firestar heard a yowl of shock and pain. Feathermist was going to birth their kits soon. Her belly was huge!

"No! Not like that! Listen to me!" Firestar heard a certain tom's meow and flicked his tail in amusement as he realized that it was Jayfeather.

Firestar meowed, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to Highledge for a Clan meeting!" 

The cats gathered.

"I, Firestar, leader of ThunderClan ask StarClan warriors to look down at this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble warrior code. And I commend him a warrior in return."

"Wingpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, serve and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Confidence glittered in the young tom's amber eyes.

"Then with the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior name. Wingpaw, from now on you will be known as Wingflight. StarClan honours your bravery and speed."

Poppyfrost, who had been Wingflight's mother looked proud and happy. Berrynose chanted Wingflight's name loudly.