Prologue (Rewritten)

"Loving you was the most exquisite form of self destruction." - Unknown.

I walk down the school hallway with my arm in Erina's as I laugh hysterically at a joke she told me in the biology class, the period before break.

It's a funny way how Erina and I met, actually. It happened two years ago in eighth grade. She was in the wrong class, which was, the English First Additional Language class when she was supposed to be in, the Home Language one. She came in a few days later, three to be exact and she sat behind me, because it was the only desk that was available.

In all honesty, I thought that she was an utter bitch, and she thought I was a complete pain in the ass because I wouldn't stop talking even though she made it clear that she wasn't remotely interested in anything I had to say. Did I care? No, because I have verbal diarrhoea.

Later on, we had a project, something to do with the Diary Of Anne Frank, and she asked me to be in my group because she found me the least annoying in that class, and from that day, I can say with complete confidence that Erina is my best friend and I love her to death.

As I'm walking with her, I hear a familiar voice yelling out of the art class and I signal to her to keep quiet.

"Didn't you hear that?" I ask her, cocking my head to the direction of where the voice is coming from.

She shakes her head to answer no and we walk further down in the passage, standing outside of the class.

"For fuck's sake!" I hear again, and my heart stops as I recognise the voice as Anthony's.

"Oh... that." Erina says, surprised.

I nod my head and gesture for her to stay, as I slowly open the big grey door. When stepping inside the room, you can immediately tell that this is the art class. The desks are huge so that you have more than enough place to work there. The walls are filled with the matric's final exam practical art pieces. By looking at some of those questionable 'artworks', clearly some of them shouldn't even have the right to set foot here.

My eyes light up seeing my first art piece by the juniors' works. I fell in love with art when starting it this year. I got eighty-two percent for my project. I scan the room and my eye catches the back of Anthony.

What on earth Anthony? I think to myself as he walks miserably with a hunch back, to the back of the art room. Even though Anthony is in grade twelve, and I'm in ten, we are still extremely close friends. He usually walks up straight with confidence and a jump in his step whenever I see him, this is how I can tell that something is really wrong.

"Is everything alright Anthony?" I ask him worriedly, while cocking my head.

He turns on his heel and his deep ocean blue eyes pierces my soul. I don't find him as the most attractive guy around, but I don't find him distasteful either. His eyes are a bit too sunken deep in his eye sockets, he has a lopsided grin and he is too tall and skinny. He has brown greasy hair, but he has the charm that makes all of the girls swoon over him, except me of course.

"Oh hi Skylar," he says nonchalant.

"So?" I ask, daring to take another step closer.

"Oh it's nothing," he sighs dramatically as he falls into his seat and stares at his drawing.

"Anthony, that isn't nothing," I say, still looking at him.

"Well, if you must know, come take a seat," he replies as he pats the vacant chair next him.

I claim the seat and lay my hand on his shoulder to try and comfort him, although I'm not good at dealing with feelings, I am an excellent listener.

"So, what's bugging you?" I ask in a soft voice.

"He kissed Jasmine!" He yells out, frustrated.

"Who? Andrew?" I ask.

He nods in response and my heart drops to my stomach when seeing him this hurt.

Jasmine is a girl, who he fell in love with years ago, but things just didn't work out. She's also in grade twelve. She is short and skinny, with big brown eyes, and when she wears her glasses, it gives off the illusion of her eyes being even larger and rounder. She has beautiful light brown skin and big black curls. She is without a doubt, one of the most beautiful girls in the school.

She and Andrew became real close when Anthony introduced the two to each other. Andrew, is one of Anthony's best friends, he's almost like a brother to him, so no wonder it hurts poor Anthony.

"But Anthony, you told me just last night that you are in love with Kat and you broke up with Nora just a week ago. You are a real Casanova aren't you?" I say, trying to lighten the mood a bit.

He gives me a death stare that clearly says that 'now is not the time'. I purse my lips into a small thin line and nod my head, then all of the sudden, Anthony clasps my hands in his and looks me in my brown doe-like eyes and asks, "Do you know why I fell in love with Nora in the first place, Sky?"

I shake my head in reply.

"I fell in love with Nora, because she reminded me of Jasmine," he responds distraught.

Ah yes, Nora and Jasmine do share some qualities I suppose. Both are artistic and aspiring musicians and not to mention best friends, but he broke things off with her because she was a bit of a lunatic and sadistic, and not to mention extremely unhygienic. My spine shudders at the smells that comes from her.

"Yes Sky, I am over her. I'm over both of them. It's just, it still hurts," he cries out, breaking the silence.

"I'm sorry Anthony, but, it's unhealthy obsessing over Jasmine when it's clear that she's not coming back, and it's unfair towards Kat," I say, rubbing his arm.

"Ah yes, Kat. Do you know how refreshing she is?"

Oh yes, Kat. His little ray of sunshine. She isn't exactly pretty, she's cute. She is short, and as thin as a stick. Her forehead is a tad too big, but that is to house her gigantic brain. She has the most rounded pale blue eyes I've ever seen that matches her pale white skin. No wonder he is in love with her.

"Of course," I say with a smile

"I hate love," he mumbles under his breath.

I'm shocked at hearing this. How can a person hate love? I can't get enough of it. I constantly read romances, write and watch them. I live for them, unfortunately, I've never had a boyfriend in my life.

"How can you say that?" I ask, apalled, furrowing my brows.

"Never mind, just listen to me Sky, love is toxic," he spits out with rage as the bell rings, signalling the end of break.

I remain seated, thinking about those vile words, as they finally sink in.

Love is toxic.

AN:

As promised here is Love Is TOXIC. I'm already working on the first chapter. Thank you all for joining me on this journey and seeing how I grow as a writer. Please stay tuned and vote. I appreciate it so much.

Special thanks to mynameisnotsamantha for the epigraph! ❤

[ 1 264 words]