6. A Night To Remember

The drive back home was extremely difficult. I could hardly see where I was going because of the tears in my eyes that were blurring my vision, but I managed to arrive home safely.

The only thing that’s preventing me from bawling my eyes out again, is my date with Sven. My heart is racing with various types of emotions, I still want to cry about hurting Dwayne and I feel guilty for going on this date with Sven. On the other hand, I owe Dwayne nothing, I made it crystal clear that there is nothing between us and I deserve to be happy.

Moving away from the mirror on my dresser, I bat my lashes one more time to hold the tears in place, I can’t afford to smudge my make up. My hair is in a perfect bun and I went for a nude look, I opted for a blue dress this time that sits tight around my bodice and flares out at my waist, and stops a few centimetres above my knees.

You’ll be okay, I encourage myself once more before standing up. Sven should be here any minute now. I head for the living room to anxiously wait for him, fidgeting with my fingers and internally being grossed out because of the sweat on my palms.

Hearing a knock on the door, I jolt as I rub my hands on my dress and rush to open the door. My heart skips a few beats, seeing the smile before me drastically lifts my mood.

Sven is standing before me with flowers at hand, in a black suit that makes him look even more handsome than ever. His jet black hair is gelled back, his eyes striking as it beautifully stands out amongst his dark suit and tanned skin.

“Sky,” he greets, breathlessly as I open the gate.

Hearing his smooth deep voice, is like the gravity that keeps me glued to earth. I slowly look up to meet his gaze and his gorgeous smile is so contagious that I can’t help but return it.

“You look as radiant as ever,” he continues, handing me the flowers.

“Thank you Sven,” I reply, examining the white flowers in my hands. Noticing the shape of the bouquet, I note that it’s white roses. I’m more of a fan of lilies, but these are still beautiful nonetheless.

“Surprised you don’t have anything witty to say for once,” he chuckles out.

I notice a note between the petals of the flowers and read the writing on it, ‘White symbolises purity, so here is a white bouquet for your pure soul.’

Reading that, I huff out a snort and can’t stop the laughter that’s pouring from my stomach.

“Cheesy, I know,” he confesses with embarrassment.

“Well, yes, but what did your dad say about assumptions, again?” I ask with my index finger in the air, still laughing.

“Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups,” he replies, with a tight nod.

“That’s right. I’m not all that innocent, love,” I state, patting him on the shoulder, giving him a peck on the cheek and melt as his stubble caresses my lips.

“Put those flowers away, this is going to be a night to remember,” Sven whispers in my ear, casting me a wink.

On our way to the restaurant, I take in the view from outside. I love driving at night, the lights of the city are always mesmerising when it's dark. Turning my head to face Sven, I marvel the beauty of him. I’ve grown infatuated with the man, I realise.