4. Prowling The Streets

Prowling the streets with Sven might seem ridiculous and stupid, I know but I want change in my life. I want to break away from the boring cycle and get my thoughts off of Dwayne, and, Sven is the perfect distraction for that.

“So, where do you want to go?” He asks, placing his hand on the small of my back, ushering me to his car.

“It doesn’t matter, really. Surprise me,” I respond, giving him a seductive grin.

He cocks his head to the side and fishes his car keys out of the pocket of his grey pants, and I note the emblem on it, it’s a Mercedes. 

My jaw drops to the pavement as we approach his vehicle. It’s the new E-Class model. How can he afford this? The car is painted black, and just the mere presence of it looks majestic. Opening the door, I’m marvelled at the elegance of this beauty.

Sinking in to the cream leather passenger seat, I take in the interior and I’m gobsmacked at how luxurious a car can be. Sven takes his seat and the car is filled with the scent of his cologne, that I admire. He casts me a knowing smile and a wink before starting the engine that lets out a roar.

“So, how old are you?” I try to fish, because he does not look over thirty, and there has to be an explanation for how he can afford this. Maybe old money that runs in his family?

“Twenty-seven, you?”

“I’m twenty. Sorry for being forward, but how can you afford this at such a young age?” I ask, furrowing my brows, looking intently at him.

He flashes me another grin before answering, “My dad is the CEO of some tech company, and I have my own business as well, don’t worry, it’s not blood money,” he chuckles.

“Good to know,” I respond with a smile, with my hands between my thighs, looking at him. “You know what?” I add.

“What?” He asks, turning his head to face me, returning a smile.

“I’ve never had waffles,” I laugh out.

“What?!” He exclaims in disbelief, his grin now reaching his eyes.

“Yes, I’m serious.”

“Well, there is a diner a few blocks away from here, if you want to check it out?” He asks, curiously, brushing the burgundy strands of hair out my face, earning him a heart-felt smile.

“Sounds like a plan, Sven,” I reply, putting my hand over his, feeling the electricity pulse through my veins.

***

The car comes to a halt and a smile so broad that it hurts my face, spills across my features. I know this place! I squeal internally like a six year old. Looking at the diner, causes memories to flood my brain of years back when I was just a kid, when life was simple and I wasn’t aware of what was going on around me.

Nostalgia hits me, causing my smile to fade away. Sven notices the sudden change and unbuckles his seatbelt before asking, “Everything alright, Skylar?”

I turn my head to face him and give him a nod, struggling to fight back the tears and place my hand on the handle to open the car, but then, something stops me before I proceed. I cast him another look and open my mouth, forming the words on my tongue, without thinking, but this time not regretting it one bit, “You may call me, Sky.”