You Look Beautiful Bri

They had been planning this night for weeks. Drew, Rick, and Bri were going to go eat at the new restaurant that opened in town. They were all so excited. Brianna wore a pale blue sundress, some white sandals, and some light makeup. Drew wore a blue, long sleeve, button down shirt and some dark wash jeans. Rick wore a dark blue, shirt sleeve, button down with some lighter wash jeans. Brianna wanted them all to match. Drew walked out of him and Rick's bedroom and found Brianna looking in the mirror. Typical teenage behavior. "Wow." Was all could escape Drew's lips and Rick wrapped his arms around his husband. "What?" Said curiously looking at her dads. "You look beautiful Bri." Drew said as he started tearing up. She walked up to him and told him not to cry. He couldn't help it. "You are just growing up so fast!" Drew mustered before he took off toward the bedroom. "I'll go get him" Rick said before walking down the hallway.

"Baby what's wrong?" Rick asked. "We've just missed out on so much of her life. It feels like I blinked and she grew up. I mean she's 14 for crying out loud!" Drew said as Rick placed a living hand on his shoulder. Before he could rebuttal, Bri started talking. "I know I am growing up too fast. I wish you could have been there for every moment, not just the last two years. But I wouldn't trade this for anything." She told them with a sweet, innocent smile. Something that none of them knew would vanish so quickly later that evening. They hugged and walked outside to get in Drew's truck. They laughed and sang along with the radio on their way to the restaurant. This was the only night where both Rick and Drew were off.

They got to the restaurant and sat at the table. Rick and Drew sat across from Brianna. The waitress came by and asked for their orders. "I'll have the Classic Cheeseburger with fries and a water." Drew told the lady. "I'll have the same thing but with onion rings and an unsweetened tea." Rick said with a smile. "I'll get the chicken tenders with fries and a sprite." Bri told sort of embarrassed. She thought it was silly that she was 14 and still ordered chicken tenders. That laughed and joked until their food arrived. Then they ate, and laughed, and joked. Drew could feel stranger's eyes staring at him. He started to bounce his leg, just old habits being reformed. Rick put his hand on Drew's leg to calm him. It worked, it always works. They finished their food and left. They decided they would walk around the corner to go get some ice cream. They seemed so happy in their little bubble.

Brianna got a scoop of rocky road in a cone. Drew got a scoop of mint chocolate chip in a bowl. And Rick got a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of vanilla in a bowl. He was always so much simpler than the other two. They sat at a table outside the ice cream shop. They shared stories, and laughed at jokes. Everything was just how it should be, perfect. They sat there for a few minutes after they finished their ice cream, enjoying the crisp San Antonio autumn air. Bri started coughing, so they decided it would be best to end their family date early. They were walking back to the truck when the worst moment of their lives happened. A gunshot rang through the air as Drew and Bri huddled over Rick's nearly lifeless body...