The Audacity of This Girl

"That's when I realized what a true friend was

"That's when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you - the imperfection you, the confused you, the wrong you- because that is what people are supposed to do." -r.j.l.

After an eventful day of school filled with just about any question under the sun about our little hologram band act and Flynn going out of her way to ignore us, I split away from Julie giving her some time to tell her dad the good news of her making it back into the music program. I make my way over to the wide doors of the studio and my ears are immediately met with the soft sound of guitars. I let out a small groan, hoping no one in the Molina household heard them playing as I slip into the warmth of the studio.

My gaze falls upon Luke and Reggie practicing a few riffs on their respective guitars. While the annoyance of them playing alone runs through me, I can't help but be impressed by their work. I'm reminded of how truly talented they are each time I hear them play.

"Then Josie and Julie come in with their killer lyrics," Luke calls out, his grin wide on his face.

"And Sunset Curve is reborn," Reggie adds.

I clear my throat, bringing their attention to me, "Hey guys."

"Hey, Josie," Luke grins standing up to greet me.

Reggie steps forward, leaning over to rest an arm on my shoulder, "JJ, I'm lowkey glad you're back, we've been working on a few things."

I raise an eyebrow at him, "Lowkey? Reggie, I think the world would be a better place if words like that didn't come out of your mouth."

He shoots me a look of fake hurt, "I was just trying to get with the times."

"I appreciate the effort, but it sounds too weird coming from you," I reply with a laugh bumping his shoulder lightly. My eyes dart back and forth between the two of them, "But guys, you really shouldn't be out here playing alone. People can hear you and I'm pretty sure Julie's dad is home."

My attention is pulled to Julie, who storms through the door, walking over to unplug the cables from their amps, "I thought we agreed you guys wouldn't play unless we were in here."

Luke reaches over, pulling Reggie close to him as they both shoot us a wide grin, "We're not alone, though. 'Cause we always have each other."

"But we have the volume level on one though," Luke argues as he watches Julie unplug his amp as well.

"But we rocked it on volume ten, do you guys want to hear?" Reggie asks, seemingly oblivious to the irritation rolling off of Julie's shoulders.

Luke leans over to Reggie, whispering, "I don't think she does." He then turns over to us, his eyes wide, excitement practically radiating off of him. "We've actually been waiting for you to get home. Okay, so we have some pretty major news to tell you. We had a band meeting earlier, and... we want to invite you two to join Sunset Curve. And no, you're not dreaming."