Part 4

{ A song has been linked above to make things worse for you (: }

Kenma stared at them for a few minutes in a futile attempt to process their meaning. It certainly didn't look like a happy ending, that was for sure. He lifted a hand, his fingers ghosting over Kuroo's skin where the mark lay. "This is why you didn't tell me, isn't it?"

Kuroo turned his head to the side to look over his shoulder back at Kenma. "I didn't want to freak you out."

"I'm not freaked out." A blatant lie, but one he knew Kuroo would see through straight away. Kenma's mind was whirring with the potential outcomes that would warrant them saying final words like these.

'Please don't leave me.'

'I love you.'

Kenma couldn't even come up with a situation where Kuroo would leave him. He seldom had left Kenma on his own in the past, going as far as to camp in his room the night before exams, and walking with him to Nekoma's head office when he had to hand in a note.

Kuroo was always there. It was a given. So what did their soulmarks mean in their opposition to something that, to Kenma, had always been a fact?

Unless... an accident? A car crash? That was plausible enough. But something about it felt wrong; as though his heart was telling him that wasn't the answer he was looking for.

"Kenma," Kuroo said, turning around to face him. "I can literally feel you overthinking it." He reached out and pulled Kenma's hands back into a tight grip. "Try and live in the present for me, that's what we have control over. What will be, will be."

Kenma nodded once, desperately wanting to take Kuroo's words to heart, but not fully able to get out of his head.

But he'd try. Because Kuroo wanted him to.

"What will be, will be."