Part 14

{ A song has been linked above to make thing's much worse for yourself (: }

"Are you sure you want to stay home tonight?" Kuroo asked from the bedroom. Kenma couldn't see him from inside their walk-in wardrobe, but he could imagine the questioning look on Kuroo's face. It was Friday night, their supposed date night.

Kuroo had suggested they go stargazing, just as he had promised they would all those months ago, back when the apocalypse wasn't on the horizon. It felt like a lifetime ago. But the weather was too cold for that now, the midst of Winter bringing an unshakeable frost with it. He couldn't take Kuroo out in that weather, not when he was so prone to getting cold lately.

Kenma tried not to dwell on the fact that in the more recent months, Kuroo was becoming frail, shaking at the first signs of a cold draft. The thermostat in their apartment was constantly set to warm, there was no point tempting fate by not being precautious.

Holding date night from the warm familiarity of their own apartment was a much safer option. For Kuroo's physical health, as well as Kenma's mental health.

"Yeah, I have an idea. We can go real stargazing at a different time." A time when Kuroo was better. In Summer, at least.

Kenma continued to rummage through boxes and shelves in their shared wardrobe, finding odd trinkets that he didn't even know they owned, but not the one he was looking for. "Give me a couple more minutes."

"Do you want help looking?"

"No! I can do it myself, you just stay there," Kenma called out, opening yet another cardboard box. This one filled with old streaming equipment such as cameras and mics that Kenma thought he threw away while in university.

"You know, if you told me what you were looking for, I probably know where it is." Kuroo's disembodied voice called out once again.

Kenma rolled his eyes. There was no way all these boxes were navigable. "It's fine." He opened another box, the one on the second shelf, his eyes immediately drawn to the object of his desire. "I found it anyway! Close your eyes."

Once he had grabbed his prized possession and placed the box back where it belonged, he walked out of the wardrobe. Sure enough, Kuroo was still seated on the bed, eyes screwed shut and tapping his fingers against the bed.

Kenma couldn't help himself but creep up to him and press a soft kiss to his lips. He truly was the cutest person Kenma had ever laid eyes upon.

"Was that the surprise?" Kuroo mumbled against Kenma's skin as they broke apart. "Can I open my eyes now?"

Kenma tucked his object under his arm to free up his hands, placing them on each side of Kuroo's face, thumbs lightly stroking his eyelids. "Keep them shut."

"Okay," Kuroo's voice was a whisper, but the smile playing on his lips was enough to inform Kenma that he was free to continue in his set up.

He took a step back from Kuroo. "Five more minutes. It's not a big surprise, by the way."

"You know, anything from you is great." Kenma smiled as he rummaged through their bedside draw in search of batteries. He always stored them here, in case one of his remotes ran out. There were a few batteries left in it, Kenma grabbing three to place into the device, flicking it on once to reveal that it was indeed still working.

He walked back to Kuroo, nudging his legs apart so Kenma could sit between them, and act as a human blanket. Once he was seated, he placed the globe back down onto the bed, illuminating their room once again into a galaxy.

Kenma fiddled with it for a moment, pressing the buttons underneath to change the colours of their star globe from purple to a brilliant blue. Kenma looked around the room, it was just as he remembered the lights being, a magical spiral engulfing the room in a strew of stars, a galaxy just for him and Kuroo.