52

"AZRIEL, THAT'S QUITE THE name," Yves noted.

"I am quite the man," Azriel smirked.

"Of course," Yves said hurriedly," Jasmina only speaks praise of you. Meeting you, I now understand why."

Interest sparked in Azriel's eyes then as he locked gazes with her, his smile widening.

"Oh, did she now?" he drawled.

Jasmina only offered him a shy smile in reply, Azriel stopping in place a moment after. They had been climbing the stairs and crossing hallways for a while, but had arrived at their destination now. The charity event was being hosted at a tower which functioned as a hotel and now, in the evening on the higher floors, it also functioned as an outlet for the rich and elite.

Azriel took a key out of his pocket, placing it in the lock of the fifth door in the hallway. He turned it and went inside, Yves following slightly hesitantly. Low laughter filled the quiet hallway for a moment, before disappearing entirely again as Jasmina closed the door behind her. The room was dark and smokey, the round table in the middle of it filled with cards and only lit up by the candles around. Though shadows danced across all the faces of the people playing, Jasmina didn't need to see them to know who they were.

Sure enough, as they turned around to the new visitors, recognition lit up their eyes too, and then someone spoke her name, in that voice of his that always demanded attention.

"Jasmina, why is Yves with you?"

Her father's thick brows had pulled down in a frown, her mother sitting beside him not looking nearly as bothered. She waved at one of the tall, muscled men standing behind all of them to come closer and with a few whispers he pulled up new chairs and placed them between Hakim and Mahsati. Azriel sat down beside her father as Yves took a place in the middle, looking genuinely nervous at the sight of her parents.

"Jasmina?" Hakim said, voice a bit annoyed now she hadn't answered his question.

"Now now, darling," Mahsati cooed," I'm sure our Jasmina has a reason for this, but let's start a new game first. Luckily for you all we just finished."

"She's back together with Alan," Yves blurted out.

"Oh my," Mahsati said, placing a hand before her lips.

Hakim however looked like his irritation was only skyrocketing, dark eyes flicking to Yves.

"I wasn't aware you were my daughter, Yves," he said coldly, causing Yves to flinch. His attention turned towards Azriel then, the slight confusion in his eyes at the sight of him immediately disappearing once Azriel's magic set in. With a nod he acknowledged him. "Azriel, glad to see you."

Yves picked up on the change of attitude immediately and it settled sourly on his tongue. Jasmina was about to say something when her mother pulled her closer, her sweet voice of sugar and poison dancing around the room along with the smoke of the cigars.

"Are you planning something, Jas, darling?" she purred," I know that look you have right now."

"Of course not, mother," Jasmina answered innocently," I'm just trying to help father's business."

Mahsati seemed amused by her answer, but didn't pry further, instead leaning back in her chair and taking the cards that were pushed towards her. The guy shuffling the cards passed them around, taking a place on the table after and blowing smoke up in circles. One of the men standing around placed a stack of chips before her, doing the same for Azriel once he gave his card. Yves however paled, patting his pockets nervously as the realization he didn't have his wallet on him dawned.