Chapter 4

"Now who would like to go next?"

Amity held her breath as the Abominations professor flicked his gaze around the room of students. She spotted Willow looking scared out of the corner of her eye. Luz was in the abomination pot next to Amity's desk. Fortunately, the three of them had made it to class on time after stopping by the healer's office to give Amity's wrist a quick once-over. Just as Amity had expected the healers deemed her wrist to be broken and slapped on a cast and a healing glyph. That, she decided, would be the last time she went gallivanting around with time spells. Even now, when she was supposed to be paying attention to the teacher, her mind kept drifting back to the tender way Luz had been watching her as Amity had been checked over. Luz had looked so concerned. How could she already care about Amity when the two had- for all intents and purposes- just met? Was Amity finally setting herself up for success?

Or would Luz's deep platonic feelings plague her for the rest of the summer?

"...extra homework for a week. You've all got to try harder."

Of course. Class. Amiy brought herself back to the present (past?). Last time, the professor had picked Willow to be the designated class failure. This time, he'd... probably still pick Willow, but at least now Willow was prepared. Would it be enough for her to earn the Top Student badge? And why didn't the thought of giving up her rank repulse Amity?

"How about... Willow?"

Amity could only hope it would be as Willow was traipsed to the front of the class with her cart. She thought the poor girl looked nervous, so she gave her classmate a quick thumbs-up. Willow didn't seem to notice.

"Abomination, rise." Willow's voice shook. The lid of the container slid off and out came Willow's- or Amity's, depending- goop monster. It was smaller and a bit more misshapen than Amity's usual abomination, but it still had a definite form and the flowers and leaves woven into its edges gave it a nice aesthetic touch. It seemed like something Willow would have added, anyway.

It obeyed a few basic commands like lying down and cowering before Willow commanded the lid to close. With each small success, Willow seemed to stand taller and taller. Maybe she really believes she can do this. Maybe it'll make up for... what I did before.

By the end of the presentation, several of Amity's classmates were staring at Willow in awe, and whispers were being passed around the room.

"Is she really the half-witch?"

"Even my abomination isn't that good!"

"She didn't cheat, did she?"

"Who would've helped her? She doesn't have any friends."

Lus peeked her head out from under her lid. "That was really amazing!" she whispered. "Not that I have a frame of reference, but you know."

Amity, flustered, turned away. "I just did what anyone would have done." Anyone who wasn't me, anyway.

"Good job, Willow," the professor praised. "You've made great improvement from last week. A solid B plus for you."

Willow ducked her head shyly. "Thank you."

"And who's next?" he asked. He surveyed the classroom for a bit, raking his eyes along each possible victim of public humiliation. Amity saw Luz quickly slip the lid back over her head. Surely the professor saw the kids who were zoned out, the kids that were sleeping, and the kids that were still trying to keep their abominations from spilling out of their containers- and yet, despite that all, and much to Amity's combined relief and nervousness, she was picked instead.

"Amity Blight."

A swift thumb's-up stuck itself out of Amity's huge clay pot.

"My star student. You're next."