Chapter 7

The horrified expression that encapsulated Luz's features was enough to make Amity's heart shatter. She braced herself to intercept her mentor, but before she could move a muscle, Eda was in front of her, the palm of her hand pressed against the bottom of Lilith's neck.

"Putting my student in danger to benefit your own agenda is a coward's move," the Owl Lady spat.

Lilith stared impassively at Eda. A slight smirk played on her lips as she answered. "Any work done in the field of magic is dangerous. It's not my fault that you decided to take on a fragile human for a student."

"And it's not my student's fault that she's a fragile human!" Eda shot back. "She's been working very hard these past couple weeks. She already knows three spells!"

Amity glanced at Luz, and from the blank expression on her crush's face, it seemed like Luz didn't know whether to be proud or offended.

"Three spells," Lilith scoffed. "She'd barely make the baby class at Hexside. She'd be no match for my protege, really. But would it be better if I had to go against you? I know the curse has left you a shell of your former self, Edalyn."

Amity watched Luz's eyes for any spark of alarm, but Luz remained startingly impassive. She must already know about the curse, Amity realized.

"Even with the curse I'm stronger than you have ever been," Eda growled.

Luz sidled towards Amity. "I don't think I can watch our teachers... tear each other apart like that," murmured the human. A chill seemed to strike her, and she shivered.

Amity's heart swelled with sorrow. "I know. But we have to let them. I could never fight you."

Luz glanced at Amity. "I could never fight you, either," she whispered, and for a moment, while their faces were mere inches apart, the sound of their mentors' argument faded into the background, and Amity once again lost herself in Luz's kind brown eyes.

A small corner of her mind whispered to her to close the distance. That's ridiculous, she scolded herself. Luz has only known you for two weeks, and Eda's life could be on the line if we don't figure out what to do! So, she shook her head and tore herself away from Luz's captivating gaze. "I just wish there was a way to save her," Amity muttered.

"Me too."

"If you would just join the coven already, we wouldn't have to fight at all," Lilith was saying. Eda had drawn back, and was now standing protectively in front of King, who was grasping Eda's leg tightly. Willow and Gus were nowhere to be seen. Amity didn't blame them for running off. It was taking most of her strength to stand and watch the argument, but she knew she needed to do something to save Luz and her teacher.

She thought back to the last covention. Both Eda and Lilith had cheated, meddling in their students' duel in a way that was entirely illegal and definitely under Lilith's usual standing. Lilith must have known that she was no match for her sister. That must be why she wants Luz and I to fight- she knows that I could beat Luz with a wave of my finger.

If we let Eda and Lilith fight by themselves, someone could get hurt.

But if Luz and I fight, we already know how it would turn out...

"Stop," Amity blurted. Both sisters turned to look at her. She swallowed. Was this really a good idea? She'd barely had any time to consider the nuances of the plan. She had only a vague idea of what was going to happen, and whether it was actually going to work or not was another question entirely. Was she putting herself and Luz in even more danger?

"We'll do it," Amity continued, voice shaking. "Luz and I will duel for you."

"You will?" Eda and Lilith exclaimed.