R E M U S • L U P I N

Blissful Omens

R E M U S    O P E N E D   H I S   E Y E S.

Everything was warm and bright.

He could hear the rustling of the leaves in the tree above him. The gentle shhhhhh of the breeze whispering through the branches.

He tilted his head back to lean into the tree. The tall green grass tickled at his bare feet. Sighing, he felt more relaxed than he had in years.

Weightless, almost.

There were bees nearby, the sounds of a hive stashed away somewhere on the tree. Remus closed his eyes again, listening to the sounds of nature all around him. The birds and bees were bursting with song and he intended to listen.

He couldn't remember the last time he had just listened.

Remus listened for a long time before he heard it.

Someone humming in the distance. It sounded sweeter than the birds frolicking in the old oak.

His eyes opened again, searching for the source of the tune.

"Ring around the rosies,"

the voice started singing the old children's rhyme,

"Pockets full of posies..."

he got up and brushed the dirt from his trousers and hands.
In the distance he could see a (H/C) haired girl dancing around in circles.

"Ahtissue, ahtissue," she twirled around in her dress,

"We all fall down."

The girl's laughter was infectious and soon he found himself with a smile of his own.

"Papa!" Remus's eyes caught on the man waving from a nearby cottage.

He could make out more of them as his feet started moving on their own accord. The woman's pale blue dress wafted around in the breeze, swaying with the tall grass.

At first, the edges were blurry, but the closer he got the more she stood in focus.

"Remus." Her smile made his stomach do flips.

"I'm sorry but, who are you?" He asked, his English lilted by the soft Welsh accent he had inherited from his father.

She smiled indulgently at him. "Let me guess, you feel asleep under the old oak again?"

It was almost like she hadn't heard his question.

He blinked and the scenery had shifted in front of him.

Vibrant summer had been replaced by a cold and bitter winter.

Snow covered everything in sight, shriveling up plants and causing little creatures to scatter away from it.

He could smell the start of a storm and feel it coming nearer. Their clothes lifted with the impending weather, locking them in place were they stood.

The air started to darken when he heard them; the wolves.

Remus searched around him to locate the direction of the jeering howls. They were everywhere at once. A pack was moving in on them.

His only concern was for the girl in front of him, who seemed to not know that they were in danger of any kind. Her kind smile still plastered to her face. Like he was the only thing that she could ever take notice of.

The dead shrubs around them stirred more violently in some places. He knew they were gaining on them.

He turned to girl, "You need to get insi–" his words died in his mouth. There was no girl there, only a wolf.

It's eyes were a haunting shade of (E/C).

Remus couldn't move. His eyes were locked onto the wolf in front of him.

She nudged her head towards him in greeting. Remus was mesmerized. Slowly, he raised his hand for the wolf to sniff at. It was as if time had stopped briefly.

Mate.

But then he heard growling behind him and the attention of the large wolf shifted from him.

His throat went dry as he slowly turned his face to catch a glimpse of what was going on behind him.

Six great wolves poised themselves for an attack.

He closed his eyes. This is it.

Nothing. No noise. No pain.

Remus dared to open his eyes to peer at them again from the spirit realm.

Only he found that the pure white canine standing behind him was alone and stained with red and gold.

Remus opened his eyes for the last time, effectively waking up from his dream.

Remus spied through his bedroom window at the girl moving in next door. Normally, it was the kind of thing that would be above him.

Sirius was the pervert. But then she bent over in her little jean shorts and it all went to hell.

He was still just a hormonal teenager, after all. He could practically feel Sirius's smirk all the way from London.

Down Moony, he thought.

"What are you looking at?" He nearly jumped right out of his skin. Remus smiled sheepishly at being caught out by his mother.

"Who are they, Mum?" He asked motioning towards the house next door.

Nothing new ever happened in Warwickshire.

"New neighbors. They got here yesterday but the moving truck only came today. The poor dears. The daughter came by to borrow some spare blankets last night."

He hadn't been home last night as his father decided that they would stay at the Leaky Cauldron for the night. He had needed to work late and thought it might be an opportunity for them to spend some time together. It hadn't worked out that way exactly, but he gave his dad brownie points for trying.

They had floo'd home not that long ago.

"I think it'll take them a while to unpack everything. Won't you be a dear and go over and invite them to dinner for me?" Remus gulped.

He had never wanted to shrink into his shoes so much as he did at that moment.

Constance waved to his daughter from the threshold, leaning on a crutch for support.

"(Y/N/N), come bring that box inside." She stared at the front of the homey little cottage run over with garden roses. It was a far cry from the opulent family manor in Germany.

She sighed for the hundredth time looking at the place.

It wasn't home, but it would have to do.

She bent down to pick up the large box she had set down on the walkway.

"Excuse me, do you need any help with that?" She straightened up and turned around slowly to meet the hazel eyed boy's gaze. He ducked his head shyly.

"Oh, umm, sure. Thank you?" She smiled at him questioningly.

"I'm Remus Lupin, I live next door." He pointed at their house.

"(Y/F/N) (Y/L/N), nice to meet you."

When he dared to peer into her eyes he went ice cold. He swore he had seen those (E/C) eyes somewhere before.

Remus must have gone blank for a moment because she looked at him a little funny.

"Sorry, I'm not usually like this." He rubbed the back of his neck.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Special Adapted Excerpt from my fanfic novella "Lady of the Hunt."

It will be continuing soon, so be sure to look for updates if you enjoyed it so far!