You have to Face them

"Alright children, I hate to do this, but line up" the Captain said bright and early the next morning in order to inspect his children's appearance. "We must make sure you look clean and professional" he looked down the line as Brigitta held Johanna and occasionally smoothed creases and straightened jackets as he went down the line.

"You all look fine" Maria clapped her hands together. "Father Wasner will be here any minute" she warned.

The priest arrived and the family set out for Mr. Samish's office, hoping for the best. They were eventually escorted to a waiting room that held multiple posters and long bench.

"We'll go talk to him" Father Wasner said as he and the Captain entered the room that had a plaque with a carved "s" on the door. "The business side is such an ordeal" he rolled his eyes trying to lighten the mood. Maria joined her children as she sat on the bench and moved the baby from her hip to her lap.

"Kurt unfold the basket so I can put her down" Maria told her son and he obeyed and took his sister from his mother and gently placed her in the basket and began playing with her while he crouched in front of it. He also strapped her with a belt Maria had sewn so there would be no worry of the mischievous little girl escaping.

Marta and Brigitta sat on either side of their mother.

"Are you nervous" Brigitta leaned over.

"I know I am" Liesl's knee began to shake

"I'm a little anxious to be honest but I know the Lord will provide" Maria assured her worried daughters.

"I don't understand why we can't sing one of the songs you taught us instead of church music" Marta leaned back. Maria was struggling more and more to provide a valid answer for that one.

"Because Father Wasner says it's more impressive or something" Kurt shrugged, not really caring what they sang as long as he could sing the part he wanted.

Gretl was looking out the window, standing on her tiptoes. They we're on the fifth or sixth floor of the building and could see the cityscape all around them.

"Look!" Gretl pointed "that one looks like it could touch the moon". The children all slowly made their way over, intrigued. Maria felt overwhelmed in the big city. The buildings surrounded everything, every person and made even the largest houses seem miniscule. But as small as she felt and was being pulled to the window by the innocence of curiosity.

The door began to open and Father Wasner and the Captain emerged. All of the young faces were filled with anticipation and Friedrich noticed his father held a cigar.

"Why the cigar?" He asked

"Typically that's a good sign" Maria smiled and waited for reassurance of her assumption

"Unfortunately this is all he's giving us" the Captain responded solemnly as he walked over to his family followed by Dr. Wasner. "He won't even listen to us" the priest spoke. Georg picked up Gretl and their faces shared an unspoken conversation as her worries had come to fruition and she held in her tears for a second before leaning into her father's shoulder. Liesl, Brigitta and Louisa all gripped hands tightly and Friedrich pat Marta's shoulder.

"Let's go to the apartment" the Captain shook his head "We'll figure something out"

----------------------

Back at the apartment everyone was staying busy in order to distract themselves from the misery of uncertainty. Dr. Wasner had retreated to his own tenement. The family simply cleaned and took care of basic domestic duties to keep their minds from disappointment. Maria was scrubbing clothes on a washboard that sat on the table. Liesl stirred a pot of sheets and Brigitta was boiling a smaller pot of water. Louisa and Friedrich were outside taking clothes off the line and beginning to put new ones on, taking their time to enjoy the breeze. Kurt was folding clothes on the same table as Maria. Marta and Gretl shared the rocking chair and were reading the English book while the Captain stood trying to rock Johanna to sleep.

Louisa peeped through the window "Herr Diamont is here along with Mrs. Maxwell" she threw some dry clothes into a basket and lead the two adults through the large window into the room.

Mrs. Maxwell motioned to sit in the chair where Marta and Gretl were sitting and they ran off to their room. "Well, ask them if they got accepted" Mrs. Maxwell smoothed her bright red hair and made herself comfortable, much to the Captain's dismay. He handed off his baby to Louisa and she went into her parents room to put her down for her nap.

"Did they sign you on" Mr. Diamont asked

Maria only shook her head

"Who did they audition for?" Mrs. Maxwell asked "some agents are not the brightest bulbs"

"She wants to know who you went to" Mr. Diamont explained

"Samish" the Captain said and the woman sat straight up.

"Oh no, you need Harris" she exclaimed

"Harris?" The captain looked at Mr. Diamont

"She thinks he's a good agent" the man translated

"Well should we ever audition again-oh thank you" Maria was happy for the interruption of Brigitta bringing over the fresh water, trying to eavesdrop.

"If she's doubting, she need not. Those children are good. They have something most groups don't" Mrs. Maxwell spoke confidently to her comrade. He translated and while Maria and the Captain were flattered they both still had doubt.

"Just try" Mr. Diamont encouraged

"We'll consider it, thank you" the Captain remained cordial as ever and the pair left the way they came.

"I think they're right, we should audition again" Liesl suggested from where she stood.

Maria turned to her oldest daughter. "I just don't want you to feel obligated. You should enjoy singing, not be burdened by it"

"We do like it, and we need to do our part" Kurt, always the optimist added as he folded shirts

"Yes" Louisa agreed as she re-entered from the door she was listening through.

"What choice do we have anyway?" Brigitta shrugged and in return she got smacked with a towel by Louisa.

"What she's trying to say is that there's no chance of us making it unless we all try" Friedrich joined the conversation.

"You all are too persuasive for your own good" the Captain, dripping with sarcasm sat in the rocker.

"You all are right though." Maria added "we should. It makes them happy and us happy. Besides what do we have to lose?"

"Father listen, I can introduce myself in English" Marta came running in with Gretl not far behind.

"Alright, show me" he picked her up and sat her on his knee.

"My name ees Marta von Trapp end I am nine years olde" she grinned

"End I am Gretl von Trapp end I am seven years olde" Gretl didn't want to be outshined of course.

"Good job girls!" Maria smiled "You are very smart". She pat Gretl on the head

"Yes indeed you are" the Captain said and then saw the book in Gretl's hand. "May I see that?" He held out his free hand and Gretl handed him the book.

"Brigitta where did you get this? I meant to ask" Georg asked his daughter

"I found it on the boat, it sat on a table for an hour and no one claimed it, so I did" she explained

"Rita!" Maria exclaimed, not fully angry since she used the nickname only Maria was allowed to call her "You know better than to steal"

"Some things never change" Kurt rolled his eyes.

Hey y'all! Soo yeah, life ain't perfect. Anyways i couldn't just hand everything to them on a silver platter because they truly did have to fight for success in real life. Remember to vote on the new sibling!

Thanks for reading!