May the Lord Make Us Truly Grateful

The next morning Father Wasner was there bright and early. He had already eaten and was impatiently waiting for the family to finish getting ready for the audition.

The girls were tidying their hair and Kurt was struggling to slick his bed head down with husband and was failing miserably. Maria was helping Brigitta tie her apron and the Captain was brushing dusts and fuzz off of Friedrich's jacket. Marta grabbed Johanna and began playing with her.

Father Wasner looked at his watch and Maria took notice. "Alright children, let's go, don't be nervous" she assured.

The family began the long walk to the heart of the city where the building was located. To say they looked a bit odd was an understatement. The children were dressed in a bit more traditional European fashion with the older girls dawning aprons and the boys having lederhosen, the girls had their long hair braided tightly. On top of that there were eight children and a priest which was not something people in downtown New York saw too terribly often, even if it was a melting pot of culture.

The family approached a tall brick building that was a bit wider. A receptionist let them in and directed them to a waiting room that wasn't too out of the ordinary. The receptionist had told the whole family to wait outside Harris' door. There was a lone bench which the Captain let Maria and his daughters sit on while he went to discuss the details of the potential deal.

Liesl held Johanna and Kurt leaned against the wall next to them. Father Wasner was pacing and praying, however Friedrich was looking at something on the wall across the room. It was a poster but it was hard to tell what was on it. He shifted a little and this allowed Marta, Liesl and Brigitta see and they tried to hide their giggles.

Maria had been talking to Gretl and Louisa when all three of them noticed their sisters giggling. Kurt had now joined them but was more red than anything and looked a little uncomfortable. Louisa brought a hand to her mouth and gained some composure. "He's just admiring the art is all Mother" Louisa explained trying her best to suppress her expression.

Maria got up and joined her oldest son who seemed entranced. She looked from his face to the poster and saw aa scantily clad woman posing. Maria was more shocked than anything to see something like that hung in a public place and she became uncomfortable. She looked back over at the other children who hid their laughs the minute their mother turned around. Kurt couldn't even look at her. Maria found it amusing too, but she was much better at keeping herself together than her children.

"Alright Friedrich, that's enough ogling for one day" she grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back over to his siblings looking a bit disappointed. Just then the Captain emerged from the room.

"Ok, we're good to go" he told Father Wasner and he led them into the room. Johanna was discreetly placed in her basket with a pacifier to keep her quiet and Father Wasner sat down at the piano. Maria, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretl, Louisa, Liesl, Friedrich and their father stood in a straight line. The room was dark and dimly lit. They were on an upper stage that barely held them all and looked down at the three individuals below.

One was Harris, the other was the female receptionist and a third man with glasses smoked a cigar filling the room with fog.

Father Wasner announced formally what they were going to sing, they had reluctantly decided on the Bach piece and looked at the family. "La, La, La, La" he gave them their pitches.

The family began to sing. Brigitta was having Deja vu, Louisa and Liesl were nervous. Maria constantly looked to her family for reassurance. Less than a quarter of the way through their song a back door suddenly began to open respectfully. The family continued singing which didn't go without notice. A figure, a woman, most likely in her 50's or 60's entered the room. She was dressed to the nines but professionally and was beaming from ear to ear.