Fifteen going on Sixteen (and 18 going on 19)

The day of Mrs. Hammerfield's gala finally arrived. The family didn't have new clothes for the occasion but they still tried to look as neat as possible and still held the grace and elegance of nobility.

The family needed to meet Dr. Wasner soon because Mrs. Hammerfield was sending a car to fit all of them.

The girls were in the room changing and taking their sweet time. The boys had opted to get ready first and happily watched the baby while Maria was helping the girls, mainly the younger ones. However, for the most part they were independent so she made herself comfortable on the younger girls' bed.

"Mother will you tie my bow?" Marta asked struggling with the ribbons behind her back.

"Liesl does my hair look alright?" Louisa smoothed her half up half down do that the oldest three girls dawned.

"Relax Lou, it's not like we're gonna see Carl" Brigitta snickered as she laced her boots.

Maria smiled to herself and wrapped her arms around Marta from behind and pulled her closer, to which the little girl relaxed against her mother as they watched the others.

"Brigitta stop" Louisa gritted her teeth in annoyance

"Louisa calm down" Liesl tried to soothe her little sister.

"Why? You would do the same if everyone bothered you all the time." Louisa retorted as she smoothed the nonexistent wrinkled from her dress.

"They already do" Gretl said from the floor as she was putting her boots on too. Maria chose to refrain from speaking by biting her lip, hoping they would resolve the conflict themselves.

"What?" Both older sisters asked looking at the little girl on the floor.

"You both fancy him and we all know it" Marta spoke from her mothers lap and flipped a braid behind her shoulder

"See" Brigitta motioned to the two little ones.

The older ones had forgotten their mother was there due to how quiet she was being.

"Louisa, it's okay if you like him" Liesl reached for her sister's hand but Louisa snatched it away.

"You're always telling me to admit it" her voice rose "when you're the one who needs to!"

"Louisa i-"

"I'm not stupid. I see the way you look at him, the way you look at each other. Just stop pretending like you care about me and tell him instead" Louisa pushed a now standing Gretl out of the way and slammed the door behind her.

Maria immediately stood up and Liesl began to chase after her.

"No, let me go" Maria smiled with a bit of anxiety. "Finish getting ready. Brigitta please braid Gretl's hair." Maria looked back as she shut the door and left for the main room.

"She's out there" Kurt pointed out the fire escape without looking up from his book.

"Everything alright?" The Captain was tying his tie and looked a little worried for his daughter.

"She's alright, just give me a moment" Maria held up a finger and climbed out to the fire escape.

She found Louisa leaning over the black rail, her long blonde hair flying in front of her face as she wiped away her tears. It was windy and the warm sun was beginning to set. Maria slowly approached her 15 year old, the one she knew had held in emotion and guilt for years, and leaned over the rail.

Maria chose not to say anything, giving Louisa the opportunity to speak.

"Mother?" She sniffed

"Hmm?" She responded