Trouble

"Shit" Reggie says after looking at his phone. "What is it?" He climbs out of the bed and starts putting his shoes on. "The cast is supposed to meet Nick at the theatre at 5." He grabs his keys and I stand up checking the time. It's 4:45. "Well let's get the hell out of here then" I put my shoes on as well and follow him out the door.

We get in the car and I ask "how far away are we?" And I am informed that we're about 30 minutes away. Great. I'm tapping my fingers on the passenger door out of nervousness. "Am I even supposed to be coming to this Reggie?" He chuckles and makes a left turn "honestly I don't know but you're coming now." Well now I'm even more nervous, time to meet my new coworkers I guess. We come to a red light and he places his hand on my thigh, not in a sexual way, but more in a caring way like to let me know he's here. "Hey, McKenzie. Look at me." I turn and look at him. "I know you're nervous but you gotta cut that nervous shit out. You're gonna kill it and you may not even have to do anything. So don't stress. You got me by your side and I believe in you. That's what matters. Okay?" I smile "okay." He kisses me and the light turns green.

We pull in the parking lot and my phone goes off.

Mom: Hey baby, not trying to worry you or anything but when you get home we need to talk. There's been a slight problem.

A problem? With what? "Hey, what's the plan for after this?" I ask Reggie as he finally finds a parking spot. "I don't know I was thinking we could grab a bite to eat and maybe you could come over and watch a movie or something. Or the cast might all go out. Maybe you can stay with me." We get out of the car and start walking towards the building. I text back as we walk.

Me: Wont be home tonight. What's up?

We get to the door of the theatre we're supposed to be at, running 10 minutes late, and my phone buzzes with a text back from my mom that makes my heart drop.

Mom: It's about your father. He escaped prison today. They don't know where he is. He doesn't know where we live though so I don't want you to worry too much. We'll be fine sugar. I love you.

I stop dead in my tracks. Con looks at me and asks what's wrong and I show him my phone. He pulls me into a hug "it's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay. He won't find you and if he does he sure as hell won't hurt you again." I nod and we walk inside.

Me: I love you too.

***sorry it took me so long to update. I started back to school and I live in the south and we got hit by 2 hurricanes so we've been trying to recover from that. I'm gonna try to update more often. I'm so sorry guys. Thank you for all the support. Love y'all!***