08| A Surprise

16th August 2017

16th August 2017

L U K A

I woke up to the sound of the rain hitting the glass windows. I sat up on my bed and looked to my left to see Juleka-still snoring peacefully-in her bed. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. I walked up to the windows and laid my palm on the cold glass. I always liked the rain. It was like a weather for all moods- happy, sad, romantic. I chuckled to myself at the last thought.

How I wish I found someone who would love me for who I am.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a mouth-watering aroma. I followed the magical aroma and found myself standing at the door of the kitchen where Sushma aunty was busy preparing one of her special Indian delicacies.

"What is it? It smells so good."

"Oh. Good morning Luka. This is called Poori-Bhaji. It's the menu for today's breakfast", Sushma aunty said and gave me a gentle smile.

I licked my lips and said, "Sounds yummy. Can't wait to try it."

"Aye Luka. So early up from bed?", my Mom said and ruffled my hair.

"What time is it?", I asked.

"6 o'clock."

I groaned. God knows why I was up so early in the morning.

"Well Anarka. There has been a change in plans. Since its raining outside we can't go for any sightseeing today. Also, at my friend, Kriti's home there has been an accident and the kitchen tap has just gone haywire so Kriti, her sister and niece will be coming over to my house for dinner. Is that okay with the two of you?"

I was a little disheartened when I heard that we can't go for sightseeing today but, meeting auntie's friends was not a bad idea.

"Oh, it's alright. We'll be glad to meet your friends", Mom said.

"That's good to know. Luka and Juleka can interact with Kriti's niece as they are all the same age."

"What's her name?", I ask out of curiosity.

"Preeti Das Durand. She's half Indian, half French. She lives in this neighbourhood with her Mom. I think they'll be moving to Paris soon. At least that's what I heard from Kriti a few days ago."

I just stood there, shocked. Preeti was coming over tonight for dinner. My brain was not able to process the information that I'll be meeting her again so soon.

"-ka! Luka!", my Mom shouted.

I blinked, twice.

"Uh... sorry Mom."

"What? You know Preeti?", asked Sushma aunty and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Y-yeah. I met her at the fest yesterday. She and her friends gave us a tour of the fest", I said and scratched the back of my head nervously.