𐃘 nineteen. -ᬼ

Unfair.

Life is very unfair to many, no one knows why nor questions it. Why must it be unfair? Why can't everyone be equally happy and not have to suffer, the sad reality is that not everyone can get their happy ending.

You being one of those people amongst them.

Nagito had been fighting fighting for his life for a year or two now, he'd been diagnosed with Dementia before entering hopes peak, they'd told him his fate was to die in around two months. Who knew his luck could take him so far?

Sadly, even for someone with the talent of luck on their side, he also suffered a fair amount of unfairness from the world.

His luck can't go on forever, especially since his luck was already used up when he met you.

It was no surprise to him when he saw the world slowly disappear within his reach, he'd been feeling dizzy throughout the date, fully aware of what was to take place when he arrived home.

Chiaki visited him after dropping you off, as promised, but she was greeted by Nagito lying down in his living room floor. She'd taken a look inside the window and became pale seeing the sight in front of her.

Almost immediately she called the ambulance and things escalated from there.

She'd reluctantly dialed Hajime's number, scared of the reaction you may have, you were worried about Nagito so much. Imagine how'd you react once you heard about him? It would be a mess, but she was bound to tell you and Hajime sooner or later.

Hearing your soulmate was in the hospital was almost as if the world had stopped, everything became unclear, your head thumped and you could hear your own pulse and heartbeat in your ears at the same time.

The two of you ran to the hospital, Hajime accompanied you for support, knowing you would be deeply worried and stressed. Despite that you would've went with or without him.

The front desk lady calmly explained how Nagito was in no conditions to have visitors, yet you insisted. Knowing you were on the verge of losing him was heartbreaking. You kept asking about his conditions but she only said how they were unknown and currently checking him.

After yelling at the poor desk lady for a while Hajime finally somehow managed to get you to sit down and drink some water, he'd apologized to the lady only to have her give him an understanding smile.

You watched every little move everyone in the lobby did, the door opening every few minutes with employees walking through, people talking about their day, foot tapping, gestures, you watched every move.

Hajime noticed and put a hand on your back, not daring to say anything. Not even that could put you to ease, you watched the clock tick every second. Despite watching the time, every minute felt as if an hour had passed, only making you grow more and more impatient.

7 hours later and a doctor finally came up to the two of you, he led you both to a room and asked for the both of you to sit down. You could only watch him nervously, waiting for him to finally explain what happened to Nagito and how he is.

"I'm so sorry. Nagito is currently in a coma due to his dementia and stage 3 cancer, we were unfortunately unable to help him as much due to it being so severe and not being able to be taken to the hospital right away after collapsing."

You somewhat felt relieved, a coma is bad but it's slightly better than him..

"So what's going to happen to him? How long?" You continued shooting questions at the doctor, he waited until you finished.

"For now there really isn't much we could do except keep a close eye on him. This may seem hard to drop on you but there's a very slim chance he might even recover."

"The boy's brain has been rapidly deteriorating, I'm surprised he's still alive. We've tried everything we could but we can't do that anything. I'm so sorry."

Hajime l brought you in a hug and let you cry onto his shoulder, bearing this all on your own was too much, he stroked your head and gave the doctor a nod. With that the doctor made his way to the door and left.

Minutes became hours and hours became a day, a day had passed and you were sitting in the lobby, yet again, waiting to see Nagito.

Hajime never left your side, only went to go get fast food and came back within minutes. As much as you appreciated his support you were too devastated to properly thank him. It was okay though, he completely understood.

"L/n, Y/n?" Called out the front desk lady, you immediately perked up and rushed over to her, she greeted you with a smile and calmly explained.

"Nagito is still not awake, but you are able to visit him now, his room number is 382."

You nodded and began your search for the room number, Hajime trailing behind you. After 10 minutes of looking around you finally found it.

Without hesitation you opened the door and sprinted inside the room, there you found Nagito lying on the white, sheeted bed. He had wires stuck into him on his arms, a beeping sound could be heard throughout the room, monitoring his heart.

You stared at his face, his eyes closed shut, no sign of them opening anytime soon. You stepped closer and shakily put your hand on his.

cold.

He was really cold, you shivered from his touch but refused to take your hand off his.

"Y/n.. want me to let you have a moment?" Hajime's voice echoed through the silent room, you hesitantly nodded, with that he walked out the room and closed the door behind you.

You were left to drown in your own thoughts.

——
Jesus I was planning on ending the story this chapter but my motivation is so bad and I haven't updated this for a whole month, sorry ya'll :').

I'm sure the next chapter will probably be the last, if not I'm super super sorry.