Chapter Thirty-Three: Cornered Rat [Part 1]

“Listen Hayato,” You said as he led you to his school. 

“I’m sorry, Y/n-sensei, but it’s better if I go to school. If I don’t then they’ll call my parents, and my mother will send my father here,” Hayato said firmly. “I don’t want you to get hurt either.”

“We’re in the same boat here,” You said, crouching in front of him as you placed your hands on his shoulders. “Yoshikage Kira is a murderer, and he deserves to be killed. He’s a dangerous man and will kill anyone who stands in his way without a trace. I have no idea what he’s done, threatened, or told you, but I know that you are in the most danger. You found him out and destroyed the quiet and peaceful life he tried to have. You are a genius for figuring that out, while my friends are I were left at a dead end.”

“What are you gonna do?” Hayato asked quietly. “He’s gonna try to kill you too.”

“Then I’ll fight him. I’m not scared of him. I never will be,” You said, smiling. “Don’t worry about me, you just worry about yourself, alright? I’ll find some things out while you’re in school. Trust me, I’m going to catch him before he can hurt you, your mother, and anyone else.”

Hayato raised his gaze from his feet to your eyes. “Promise?”

“Promise.”

“Please be careful, Y/n-sensei.”

“I will. I promised you just now, didn’t I? I never break them,” You grinned.

Hayato gave a smile smile as you stood up. He turned and ran towards the doors to the school, pausing in the frame to glance back at you, before running off inside. 

It was time to get to work.
..

The door swung open, hitting the wall with a loud bang that made everyone inside of the room jump in surprise. Josuke, Okuyasu, Rohan, and Koichi were standing above the table where Kakyoin and Jotaro were spreading pictures across the table. You stormed into the room, not bothering to take your jacket or shoes off before walking towards the bed. 

“Y/n-san?” Josuke asked. 

“Is everything alright?” Koichi asked. 

You didn’t answer. Instead, you dropped onto your knees and yanked a metal box from under the bed, fishing through your pocket for the keys. You fumbled with the lock, cursing under your breath from your shaky hands before tossing the padlock to the side and standing up. You took your laptop from the box and pulled your phone out. You dialed a number and held it to your ear. Before they could speak, you did. 

“Make yourself useful and contact the administration of the grade school on High street and tell them that Hayato Kawajiri is not to leave until I pick him up. Is that understood?”

Yes, Sensei. I’ll get right on. I’ll let you know,” Kagome said.

You hung up and opened your laptop. 
“Did you just say Hayato Kawajiri?” Rohan asked, looking at you in disbelief. 

“Kosaku Kawajiri is Yoshikage Kira,” You said, making all of them gasp. “Hayato Kawajiri figured him out, and now he’s hunting him down. He’s in school right now, but I’m finding his address and going there.”

“How did you..?” Okuyasu asked in disbelief. 

His question went unanswered as your eyes scanned over the information displayed on the screen. You mumbled something under your breath before taking a pen from the dresser and rolled your sleeve up. You scribbled an address on your arm before closing your laptop and stood up. You started walking toward the door, but you were knocked back when Jotaro stepped in front of you.

You glared up at him. “Move Jotaro,”

“You aren’t going by yourself,” He said, glaring back at you. 

Your eye twitched in annoyance. "Then get your fucking shit and let’s go. I don’t have time to stand around,”

“No,” Kakyoin said, grabbing Jotaro’s shoulder. “Two annoyed hotheads aren't going to work out. Someone else will go with you. Both of you would just fight the whole time.”

“Then someone get your shit and get out the door!” You snapped, annoyed with practically everyone at this point. You had to get this done! Why the hell was everyone stalling?

“I’ll go,” Rohan said, standing up as he threw his jacket on. 

“Finally.”

After catching a taxi to the address, you and Rohan stood in front of the doors to the home. It was a nice house, with a small garden in the backyard and a few potted plants by the door. Rohan walked up the two steps and rang the doorbell. You stood back and waited. Nothing. He rang it again. 

“Knock,” You said, a frown beginning to form on your face. He knocked. Nothing. 

“You’re a detective aren’t you? Can’t we just go in?” Rohan asked, looking towards you.

You shook your head. “Not without probable cause.”

“Damn,” He said, looking around. “Let’s go talk to Reimi. Maybe she knows something,”

“What makes you think that?” You asked, trailing behind him as he walked towards a corner with a Pepsi sign. 

Rohan scoffed. “She’s a ghost. She probably knows more than we do.”
You said nothing else as you silently followed after him. Rohan greeted Reimi, and you smiled at her before your phone started ringing. You quickly excused yourself and walked away to answer it. 

“Yeah?”

“Budo-ga Oka schools let out two hours early for teacher conferences. Hayato Kawajiri left the building ten minutes ago. You might be able to catch him on his way home,” Kagome said quickly. 

“Dammit!” You said. That’s why Josuke and his friends were at the hotel. 

“Y/n-sensei, is something the matter?” Rohan asked. 

“Stay here! Look for a boy with red hair and a grade school outfit. If he goes into that house, call me immediately!” You yelled, already running off towards the school.
If you weren’t fast enough, there was going to be some lives that were in serious danger. You could feel that fear of not being able to be there in time settle into your stomach. You had to. You would. You wouldn’t let anyone get hurt. 

Turning around the corner, you accidentally crashed into a hard chest, making you fall back. You winced as you hit the ground, your hand slicing against something sharp. Looking up, you were about to apologize for hitting the person, when your eyes landed on the exact boy you’d been searching for. Hayato gave you a wide-eyed glance before flicking his eyes up to the man holding his hand. You looked at him as well and from the picture that Rohan had shown you, it was Hayato’s father, Kosaku Kawajiri. 

Yoshikage Kira.

“Are you alright?” He asked. 

“Y-yeah. Sorry about that!” You laughed, taking the hand he offered as he helped you up. “I wasn’t watching where I was running!”

“You scraped your palm,” He said, turning your hand over. 

“I-it’s nothing,” You said, moving to pull your hand away, only for him to grab it tighter. Your stomach churned.

“It’s bleeding a little too much,” He said, looking to the ground, where a broken bottle had been. Blood trickled from the top. “It looks like you must have cut it on that bottle. My wife can patch you up,” He said. 

“I-It’s fine. Really, i-it is!” You said, growing uncomfortable very quickly from the fact that he still held your hand. His eyes traveled across it, and you swore he licked his lips briefly. 

“No, I insist. It’s bad to run away with it bleeding like that. My house is just around here.” He said. Hayato looked at you with wide eyes wide as saucers. He was shaking his head, silently begging you do not agree. You knew that it would be a terrible idea if you did. You knew that he was more than likely trying to lure you in, so he could strike you down while your back was turned. It was dangerous, it was terrifying. 

But you still agreed.