Chapter Seven - Oi, Hopkins.

Chapter Seven

It had been a hectic time since her arrival at Hogwarts and Adria had yet to settle in. If felt as though the world was carrying on and leaving her behind, that she was left silently alone and as much as the entire magical experience drew her in, she wasn't sure if it was entirely worth it to experience it all on her own.

She had hope that maybe being in Gryffindor wasn't so bad, but she was certain that the stupid hat had made some sort of mistake. She wasn't brave or courageous. She didn't know why she was sorted into such a house, and as soon as she could found herself in the library studying up on all the houses.

She liked Ravenclaw...she felt as though she should be there with Benji and introducing herself to all the friends he had already made. He wasn't spending as much time as he used to with her. She had asked him if he wanted to go over a class, they had together...transformations? No, that wasn't it.

Transfigurations, yes that was it.

Regardless, he had declined her offer. He was going to explore the woods near the black lake with some of his friends that he shared a dormitory with. They had only been in school for just over two weeks and he was already making so many friends. She was jealous, and lonely, and wondered how it was so easy for him to make friends like it was nothing.

He had friends in Hufflepuff and even friends in Gryffindor and she didn't!

Sure, he wasn't close friends with any Gryffindors but when he had asked her one day if she knew someone called Remus Lupin, she had to say no as she didn't. She hadn't heard that name before and he informed her that it was his new friend.

She wondered how she could become friends with any of the girls in her dormitory. There were four of them and they all seemed to speak to each other but any time Adria tried to open her mouth she would turn into a stuttering mess and draw back the curtains of her bed so she didn't have to deal with it. It was embarrassing and it always left her cheeks flushed.

She humiliated herself more than she wished to admit.

She wanted to be back in her own home because then she would be done with school when it finished at four o'clock and she would be back with her family laughing and smiling. She could spend time with Alfie, watch movies with Alina and have her parents homemade cooking that she loved so dearly.

It seemed perfect, but here she was. She was tucked into a window seat and watching the pouring rain batter the window. Her kitten Felix curled up to her on her lap and a textbook perched atop her knees.

She was enjoying the solace of her own mind and trying to prolong going back to the Gryffindor common room in hopes that she wouldn't run into that stupid idiot James Potter. She hated him with a dying passion.

She found out that her brother's friend Remus was friends with James too and she wondered what Benji was getting into to be friends with such horrible people. Stupid Sirius Black was just as bad too, and every time she encountered them, she wanted to run to her bed and cry.

Their constant taunting and teasing had her wanted to scream profanities at them and hex them into the wall, but she didn't know any hexes that would cause any damage. She wished that Benji wasn't declining all of her offers, perhaps if she told him about the taunting, he would help her.

Regardless, she couldn't just run to her brothers any time she was having an issue with some stupid and childish bullies. They would hex buckets of water to fall on her had as she walked by, and sometimes it wasn't water but mud and worms.

She actively tried her best to avoid them due to their constant pranks that weren't really pranks but just cruel. She was starting to get hungry, though, but it was even more embarrassing for her in the great hall when everyone was sitting in small groups with all the friends, they had made over the few weeks they had been here.

She still had to eat though and decided to just gain a small amount of courage she had and pack up her textbook. She picked up Felix and tucked him under her arm and stuffed her textbook back into her shoulder bag, the tight curls of her hair falling over her shoulder.

The Great Hall was gaining more and more students and by the time she arrived at the tall doors, it was basically jam-packed. She hated the walk to an empty space, trying to keep her head low and eyes on the ground or looking for an empty space.

When she finally found a space, she threw down her shoulder bag under the table and sat down Felix to roam free. He decided to waddle back out of the Great Hall, and she knew she would see him again that night, he liked to wander and explore, and she let him.

"Looks like we have another friend!" her heart dropped. She wasn't looking at who she was sitting near or next to, but only where she could really sit. The familiar, stupid voice of James Potter rang through the air around them.

"Oi, Hopkins!" he said, and she slowly looked up. She had a frown on her lips, and was practically terrified, "I heard something about you!"

She didn't say anything, pulling out her textbook that she was previously reading, "did you hear what I heard Sirius?!"

"I think I did, James. Did you, Remus?"

Remus rolled his eyes, but he didn't want his new friends to shun him from the group and so he said a quiet, "yeah."

He hadn't really and knew this was all a ploy to tease the girl. He felt horrible for her, she didn't speak to anyone except Benji, his friend from Ravenclaw. It was her brother, so it made a lot of sense.

"I didn't hear it!" Peter Pettigrew piped up, "what did you hear?!"

"Well, Peter, I heard that Hopkins only got into Gryffindor cause that hair of hers makes her look like a bloody lion. Nothing about courage or bravery, a bit weird to get into the house of bravery when you don't even speak!" James started laughing, and only slightly down the table was a scowling Lily Evans who could hear every word. She felt terrible for the girl sitting, she could see her focus on her textbook so hard she could tear the pages in two, but Lily knew that the girl was holding back tears.

"Well," said Sirius, "I heard the only reason she got into Hogwarts was because she won a Hagrid lookalike contest!"

Adria had barely touched her food when she stood up from her seat, tears welling in her eyes and her textbook and shoulder bag quickly in her hands. She didn't say anything, and perhaps they were right. Perhaps she was wrongly put in Gryffindor because she knew she couldn't stand up for herself.

So instead, she took a deep breath and turned away from the boys. She could hear their snickering behind her, but that only made the first tear fall and for her pace to pick up.