I

Being in the hospital was bad enough, but what's worse is your mom was here.

You kept your lips shut in a thin line when you watched her pull the seafoam curtain back and walk in again, this time sitting defeatedly in the chair next to you. She seemed strained in this tight space, but you knew better than to bring it up. Your eyes flicked back to the curtain to see what had followed her and you were met with a latex-gloved hand on your chin.

"(Name)?" In his hand he held what looked like a popsicle stick. "Open wide for me." He smiles at you and you feel the tension releasing from your shoulders. You silently do as he says and he proceeds to stick it in your mouth, almost uncomfortably, reaching the back of your throat as he does so. He watches you squirm for a moment before he finally rescinds the wood. You gag for a moment and look up to see him quickly turning away back to his mini-desk at the side of the bed.

"How long would you say these fainting spells have been going on?" He flips through a few pages of a chart he's picked up. You sit there for a moment, watching him switch between papers. His bronze eyes were switching back and forth under the dim lights again and again. It was trance-like. "(Name)?"

You swallowed. 

"Sorry."

You brought a hand up to your head and scratched a little. You could feel your mom's eyes on you from the side, but for once you decided not to look back at her. "I'd say maybe around past six months?"

"Mmm." He looks to your mother and you follow his gaze. "Well the good news is, is that all tests came back negative." He flashed a small smile and your mother breathed a rather cumbersome sigh of relief.

"You wouldn't be able to say what it could be?" You pressed your lips a little and looked down to your mom. She might have seen the minuscule displeasure on your face, though she was quick to follow with, "It's just that we're not quite seeing any other symptoms."

"It's not narcolepsy if that's what you're asking." He pumps a sanitizer into his palms and swiftly rubs it throughout his ashen hands. "Though unusual, I wouldn't perhaps cut it down to anything more than mere hormonal problems. (Name) here is the right age for it, it's natural for a young woman her age to feel symptoms such as dizziness, lightheadedness, even migraines and fainting spells if severe enough. "

"Hormonal?" You felt the second-long silence and sucked your cheeks in. "So you probably don't even know what's wrong? Really?" She looked between you and the doctor. "(Name), have you been having any migraines?" You decided not to answer her, only letting your shoulders rise and fall. She huffed and faced the doctor. "I'm no doctor, but you must be an idiot if you think it's the hormones."

His brows raise slightly at your mother's words. It looked as if his lips had tipped into a frown for a second, yet the moment was gone before you could recall. He grabbed his clipboard from the mini-table and cleared his throat.

"Well, it's just that the charts here aren't quite..." Your mom tilted her head a little to the left and watched. He looked back up and you caught a small smirk leave his face as quickly as it had come on. "...they're not complete. I can't evaluate (Name) until I have her medical records, which we don't seem to have full access to." 

"E-Excuse me?" You watched your mom's face flush red as she stuttered over her words. She glimpses at you before tipping her head down slightly. "Excuse me," She rose from her spot in the chair and before you had known it, she was behind the curtain and gone at last. Your eyes swiftly moved back to the only other person in the tiny space and you couldn't help but stare, completely doe-eyed.