CHAPTER 4

Her hand fidgeted uncomfortably with Toppers as they stood before the entrance of the main hall. She caught sight of John B right away. He was standing near the drink station, refilling some containers. And of course he was in a suit that looked a bit too small but worked for him as it showed off his toned arms. When he looked up and saw her, she winked at him, which earned a boyish grin from him. Sarah's stomach turned at the smile he gave her. She wandered around with Topper for a while, making sure to talk elegantly to the older guests who tried to impress the Cameron family. When she had exhausted her social abilities, she made her way to John B.

"Hi." she whispered to him when Topper had gone to the bathroom and he was serving drinks nearby. He wanted to be angry that she had come with Topper who he knew treated her poorly, but he was encompassed with her and the magic that surrounded her. Sarah Cameron passed him secret looks and whispered to him.

"Hi," he whispered back. She grinned at him.

"I like the tux," she commented on the Pope's borrowed suit that he wore. He broke into a small smile.

"I like the dress," he said. "You look beautiful." her eyes wandered to his lips for a split second before their moment was cut short when Topper arrived behind her, wrapping his hand around her waist.

"Hey, can I get a drink?" he asked in a demanding tone. John B's grin had immediately left his face, now focused on the man who his Sarah spent all her time with, kissed when other people were around, and told everyone she was dating.

"Sure," John B said as he passed a glass of champagne to Topper with an unwelcoming smile. He then turned away, leaving Sarah with her boyfriend. She wanted to reach out to him, hold him back from leaving. If only she wasn't tied down to Topper, she would've.

-----

The night had come to an end. Party attenders whose family held millions in their bank accounts strolled out of the event. Sarah had seen Kiara all of two times. After that, Kiara spent most of her time with Pope and John B. Sarah was sitting at the steps near the back of the building, overlooking the golf course, when she heard footsteps behind her. She figured it was Kiara, Topper had gone home about an hour ago, not even saying goodbye to her.

"Hey," a soft voice said from beside her. She turned to see John B sitting next to her. She smiled at him. "How was your big day," he asked sarcastically.

"Oh so great," She added with a roll of her eye.

"Topper and Kelce punched JJ." He said.

"What?" Sarah whipped her head to him. "That's the second time this month."

"I know. They're assholes." He grumbled. "That's my bestfriend you know?" He said of JJ. Sarah could tell he cared a lot about him, as he did the rest of the Pogues. She found it sweet that he exhibited how caring he was, something Topper never did.

"I know. I'm sorry. I didn't even know JJ was here."

"Neither did I. Apparently he came to deliver a message to us and ended up getting stuck in a room full of Kooks." Sarah looked down guilty at that. "Hey," he said as he caught sight of her looking down, "It's not your fault. You didn't do anything."

"I know I know. It's just, they always do shit like this and I'm tired of it all, you know?"

"You should probably get a better boyfriend." he shrugged.

"What are you trying to say, John B?" she asked through a smile.

"Me? Nothing nothing." He laughed.

"Mhmm." They were seated fairly close to each other now and Sarah could practically feel her skin buzzing from the way he was looking at her. Not like she was a toy he could use, but as a person. Their arms bumped against one anothers. "If it's any constellation," she whispered, "You would make a far better boyfriend than any Kook."