'F' Stands for 'Frivolity and Founded Conversation'

"Next up, we have Mara Bauchmann on the violin playing a Chopin piece, Noct- Nocturne? in C sharp major," the boy finished and left the stage looking perplexed. She glared at his receding form as her black flats tapped on the stage's smooth surface.

The vast black stage was framed with crimson red curtains on either side that were fastened with golden, braided ties, and the auditorium's lights were off to give the illusion of an invisible crowd.

Before the boy even finished his sentence, Tweed started cheering loudly and clapping. When Ethan raised his eyebrow and smirked, Tweed explained that it was "so she wouldn't feel alone." That was about as believable as a toddler who promised never to say the word 'no' again.

To the other side of Ethan, Oliver sat quietly, his legs crossed in khaki pants. His arms, clad in a navy dress shirt, were arranged on either side of his chair on the armrests. The dimmed auditorium seemed so vast in the dark, like it could have stretched for miles, especially since they were at the top row. Somehow, Oliver felt closer than anyone there.

Although... Ethan felt guilty. He tried. He really did. His parents were too preoccupied with doing other things, and he had chickened out at the last minute.

"Wasn't aware I turned into a work of art," Oliver said when he noticed Ethan's eyes on him. Ethan's ivory skin turned a shade of petal pink.

"You have the looks to be a Greek statue," Ethan whispered back boldly, taken aback by his own words. He glued his eyes to the stage. Oliver seemed to be surprised as well, and his lips parted. They sat in the middle of the long, emotional swells of music from Mara's violin for a long moment before Ethan snuck a peek at Tweed.

He was completely enraptured in her performance, drinking in her sight. His eyes never left her. Mara's eyelids fluttered close, becoming enthralled in the song. With every lilt in intonation and change in note, she leaned into the music as if her body was the instrument. Tweed was completely hopeless, Ethan thought with a chuckle. His eyes fixed on Mara again as she lifted into a heavy trill, her whole body serving as a marionette to the music gods.

As Ethan stretched his legs out, he instinctively moved to rest his arm on the armrest, bumping into Oliver's arm. Shyly, Ethan retracted his arm, but before it left the armrest, Oliver grabbed Ethan's hand.

Ethan froze, considering his options. Would anyone see them? Would anyone care? Hesitantly, Ethan looped his fingers with Oliver, and they both remained quiet for the rest of Mara's performance, which was the second-to-last performance of the night.

When the lights flickered back on, Ethan untangled their hands at a lightning speed, glancing around like a madman to see if anyone spotted them. Oliver was quiet as he chewed his lip. Ethan fidgeted with his now free hand, shoving it into his hoodie pocket.

"You didn't tell them?" Oliver whispered to Ethan. Ashamed, his head slumped, and he stared hard at the fabric of his black jeans.

"I take that as a no... I guess this wasn't our first date," Oliver said, brushing off his mistake with a laugh, but it was forced and awkward. Ethan just felt worse and worse.

"Ethan," he called, making Ethan tilt his head up to look at him. "You need to figure out what you want. I'm sorry... I care a lot about you, but if we have to have a relationship where I'm a secret from your friends, family, and the world, then I don't want it," Oliver whispered, pushing to his feet from the plush velvet, red seats and strolling out.

Ethan watched Oliver's receding form as Mara came bounding out with her violin case in tow from backstage.

"What did you guys think?" Mara asked them, beaming proudly like a child that had just shown her parents a magic trick.