Chapter 7 A Fleur de Toi

Author notes: English is not my first language, so please forgive my mistakes and awkward writing. This is NOT for profit. I don't own them. AU (as in Alternate Universe) and maybe OOC (as in Out of Character).

Author notes 2: My eternal gratitude to @JJSin2020 for editing this.

Author Notes 3: The song is A Fleur de Toi by Slimane

Thanks for the votes and comments! They really encourage me.

The beep from his phone took him out of his reverie. He had been extremely focused on his work all morning and for sure it was her reminding him to have lunch. He read the message, and knew he had been right. He was almost always right about things related to her.

The next beep announced another message from her, he needed to pick up his new tuxedo from the tailor's shop this afternoon. Shit, he had almost forgotten. He looked at the time on his watch, noting it was around noon. Then he checked his schedule for the afternoon and felt relieved when he noticed he was mostly free. So a trip to the tailor's and to his hairdresser to get his hair cut and then maybe a facial treatment were in order. He wouldn't want to look unkempt for tomorrow's big event. He asked his secretary to make the appropriate appointments, and kept working during his lunch time.

The project they were working on for the company was the most important one they had managed to date. His father had put him in charge of everything related to it, so he was feeling the pressure and he had been working long hours for quite some time now.

As vice president of the Wang Construction Company, he needed to present himself at his very best appearance, and tomorrow's party marked the closing of the most important deal their company had ever signed. This contract, if they delivered as they had promised, would make them the biggest construction company in Asia.

His girlfriend had been instrumental in getting the deal and keeping him in line, not allowing him to be swallowed by the pressure. Her kindness and attentiveness to detail never ceased to amaze him. He had been really lucky to meet her. A serendipitous event had brought them together; another inane charity ball his mother had practically forced him to attend. That had been the first time he had laid his eyes on Lulu.

Wrapped in one of Lan Yu's designed gowns, she had looked ethereal. For a moment, her eyes and her delicate figure reminded him of another beautiful creature. But the resemblance had been fleeting to his eyes, fast enough in passing to be discarded almost immediately.

What he perceived instead was an unmistakable air of sadness with a hint of anxiety on her face. She looked really preoccupied by something that was, of course, not discussed at the time when they first met.

Watching his own mother being obsequious to that young lady surprised him and intrigued him at the same time. He knew his mother was a proud woman, perfectly aware of her standing in society, and yet, it was obvious to him she wanted to be in Lulu's good graces. He wondered why.

Later, after that party was over, his mother explained to him that Lulu was part of a very important family, which could trace their ancestors for almost a thousand years. Of course, their social circle was very closed and exclusive, and his mother had never been able to enter into it in spite of being who she was. So she wanted him to nurture a friendship with her, maybe something more.

At first, he had been extremely reluctant to follow his mother's wishes and befriend Lulu. Zhan's departure had taken place eight months ago, and although he had been disinclined to do so, he had to accept that he was heartbroken by it. He had been short-sighted during his time with Zhan, not realizing his growing feelings for him. Now it was too late.