Chapter 12: What It Would Feel Like - Rosalie's POV

"You sure you don't want something a little more, erm, sensible?" asked the salesman, even as he looked ready to kick himself for trying to tempt me away from the vintage Camaro that had caught my eye.

Sensible was not a word that could have applied to any aspect of this situation, however, here I was, purchasing a new car. Jessica and I had a long way to go from Forks to San Francisco, and although we could have run the whole way without tiring much, I preferred keeping my hair in relative order, thank you. And besides, since Jessica had so kindly agreed to come with me, I didn't want her to feel like the journey was more trouble than it was worth.

The salesman waited for my reply, actually holding his breath.

I shook my head, my eyes focused on the beautifully complicated, yet oddly simple engine before me. I loved the newer cars we owned, but there was nothing like the perfection of a classic engine. No fancy, electronic sensors or unnecessary parts. Everything in its place with no frills to distract you. In my mind, there was nothing more sensible than that, gas mileage be damned.

I'd had the salesman lift up the hood, which had taken him by surprise. Whether it was because I was a woman or because his customers didn't normally consider these things, I wasn't entirely sure. It was yet another time that I was thankful that I didn't have my younger brother's gift of telepathy. At least this way, I could try to assume the best in people.

Not that I usually succeeded all that well.

"This is lovely. Thank you." I pulled down the hood and let it drop shut. This car was a lucky find, really, in such a small used car lot outside of Portland. The exterior sported a few dents and the upholstery could use some love, but from what I had seen, she was doing well enough under the hood to survive the journey that Jessica and I were taking.

"Well, sure." The man cleared his throat, a classic tic for buying time. "That is, she's pretty enough, I'll give you that, but the upkeep on a car like this isn't really something to look forward to, Miss. You sure that's something you can handle over the long haul? I've got some newer cars for almost the same price that might run you a little better."

I smiled at the older man, grateful for his concern, not to mention his honesty. The Camaro was in good condition, but it was the furthest thing from sensible that I could have purchased here.

At the sight of my smile, the man's heartbeat sputtered into a faster rhythm. A reflex, more than likely.

My smile dimmed a bit. Again, I was grateful that, unlike Edward, I didn't have the power to hear thoughts. This man seemed benign enough, but I had been on this earth long enough to understand that beauty carried certain burdens, one of which was never quite feeling like anyone else truly saw you.

An image of Emmett's face flashed into my mind, and I felt my shoulders go tight.

Instinctively, I looked around for Jessica. The disappointment that crushed in my chest a second later was as irrational as it was ridiculous. Jessica was waiting in the woods nearby, alone. Neither of us wanted to risk her being so close to a regular human. Naturally, she wasn't in any danger as she stood there alone, but remembering her waiting there did make me want to move a little faster.

I took my credit card from my pocket and handed it to the man. This, combined with the smile I had pinned onto my face, was enough to stop his protests. "I think the price as listed on the placard is just perfect," I told him. "Thank you."

Fifteen minutes later, I was the proud owner of a not-quite-mint-condition black Camaro. It would get Jessica and me where we needed to go, and very possibly back to Forks with only a few minor modifications. But for now, I didn't want to think of our journey back.