To Become One, You Sacrifice

dedicated to RAINbabie

  "Eli! Come here, son!" Granddad yells from the library. I wonder why he been in the library lately. He's in there 22/7. At least he's not that type of person to try to squeeze time in for family. He said he got time for us. Us as in me, Mamma, and Daddy.

I quickly got out of bed, sliding on my slippers. "Coming!" I yelled. I made my way to the humongous room in our house, the library. Why waste so much room for books, you ask? I asked the same thing and a lot sooner didn't need an answer for it.

Granddad sat in his chair behind a table clattered with pencils, pencils, and pencils. His dark skin shone under the pale yellow light from the lamp. His white beard looked like he kept it trimmed.

"Close the door behind you, son. And lock it, too. Will ya?"

"Said, done!"
Granddad chuckles as I ran to him and hop onto one leg. He had a thick, black book on his left leg. I tilt my head to look at the title. I then recognized it in confusion, terror, and last, horror.

"I belie- think Daddy told me not to ever open that book..." I said mostly in a terrified whisper.

Granddad took a long look at me and shook his head, smiling. "Eli, Eli, Eli... Let me tell you something.  If you obey so much, do you think you'll lose listening to yourself? The rebel side in you is your most adventurous side!" He ruffled my hair. I smiled, but not sure of what he is saying. "Now, do love fairytales?"

Thrilled at the mention of it, I look up at him and nodded. "More than any other genre!"

"Ho, ho! Well, you can't say that just yet. You might change your mind one day. But, I know you're very sure of that, so heh."

"Yeah, you could say it like that."

"Hm, yeah. So, tell me. Have you ever want be with them?" Granddad asks with a radiant smile.

I shrugged, confused. "I don't know what you mean."

Granddad stares at the book on his lap. I'm not sure what he's thinking, but I guess it's how to put in a way he can explain what he mean better.

"Have you ever wanted to be with them as in, join them? Roaming around in luxurious castles? Fly in the sky with the sebulls? Get up every morning to the surrounding water? Don't ya? Don't ya?" He laughed. "You always talk about living in water!"

My eyes widen. "Really?" I look at the book and my mind quickly changed when it hit me that book might hold its secrets to hold an everlasting adventure. I did had little doubts coming here and there, but who am I to be careful when it comes to trying risks?

A lame pony.

"Yes, yes... But, um... There is a lot of explaining to do." He trace over the fading gold letters. And that's when I notice the title. Scribbles that I can't read.

"That's good that there's a lot to explain. It means I'll understand a lot more, right? So when I get to their world, I won't get hurt and know about their living?"

"Well, sorta." He grins. "I will start once you're done asking questions and is silent."

"You can start."

"Good, but there is something you must zipped in your mouth, secret, don't ever tell."

I nod. "Yes, sir."

"Will you keep one promise, Eli?"

"Yes."

"Will you promise to keep this all secret? Don't tell your father nor your mother. Never. Is that a promise?"