27 | LITTLE SLOW HIGH TEMPO

Taehyung took a sip of his Strawberries & Crème Frappuccino with two pumps of vanilla syrup, one pump of raspberry syrup, and a splash of orange-mango juice— his classic at Starbucks as he reached his house

Taehyung took a sip of his Strawberries & Crème Frappuccino with two pumps of vanilla syrup, one pump of raspberry syrup, and a splash of orange-mango juice— his classic at Starbucks as he reached his house. The day was so weird that the drink tasted much sweeter and he wondered if the shade of his couch was always this dark or if it had become like that to coordinate with his mood. 

Chaeryeon who had accompanied him to the station kept her magenta coloured jacket on the couch, taking a seat. She contemplated whether she should leave or stay for some more time. Maybe Taehyung wanted some time alone after all that happened, but what if he wants someone to be with him just to make sure he stays okay and does not inflict any self-harm. 

"The press is going wild. I'm receiving a hundred calls a day, just to know what happened. I know Sir, that you probably don't wanna speak about this for a while, but the agency says that it will be better if you justify the entire situation to the media, instead of the Manobans," she spoke, her hands fidgeting in her lap because this state of Taehyung scared her for some reason.

He chose to remain silent

However, silence can sometimes speak more than words. Chaeryeon took that as a signal to leave, and after bidding him goodbye, she headed towards her home. A sigh escaped the detective's mouth, keeping the empty glass on the wooden table and dialling a number, the only one he could speak to. 

"Taehyung, son, how are you? I saw the news, you look horrible. I'm so sorry for what happened, please come back home," an elderly, extremely familiar voice rushed, one Taehyung hadn't heard in ages. 

He shook his head with hopes of controlling his tears. His voice sounded heavy, "I am not doing okay, mum. I am not doing okay... This hurts, so much that I feel like I would rather die than this."

His voice cracked, heart breaking into gazillion pieces upon hearing his own words and emotions being voiced out. His mother gasped, "Do you want me to come to Seoul? I know this is very hard for you, but you cannot give up, my son."

That one tear which he tried to hold back with all his remaining might, rolled down his tan skin, "But I want to give up."

And saying so, he hanged up, because he knew the more he spoke, the more he realised how brutal this was. He wasn't ready to face his emotions, not after how harshly reality struck him and how within a span of two weeks, his perfect life with Jennie went to hell. 

And with that thought, came the reminder that he had to answer the media. In fact, tell them the whole story of how one family ruined another's. 

***
14 YEARS BACK 

 David Manoban spoke in that grumpy voice that one would not want to willingly hear as he paced back and forth in his giant room, "Ask your boss to make sure that KRZ's reputation remains low. I absolutely do not care., just do whatever you have to do. Spread any fake rumours or even blackmail their investors. Whatever keeps the stocks low, and then I get to buy that company as well. If the stocks don't go down, your boss sure will go down to his grave. Don't waste time and report me soon."