5

Mazikeen's POV

I walk out of work completely exhausted. It was not easy driving a double jack forklift while injured. I wince in pain as I see the scales appear on my left hand. I get in the car and drive away from work. My skin keeps shifting between human and scales. I pull into the driveway of my home and go inside. My vision flickers between my sharper animalistic vision and my human vision. I stumble and collapse to my knees.

Black boots come into view and familiar hands help me up. Dark blue jeans, come into view as I stand. The distinct smell of leather reaches my nose and I look up to find Caesar. He's in his signature look, dark blue jeans, a long sleeve black shirt, his black leather jacket, and the black boots.

I say,"Caesar."

He smirks,"Still haven't got the hang of it?"

I roll my eyes at his sass and say,"Oh. Piss off. I took on a Hi No Haka. News flash: It lost."

Caesar smiles and I look at him. He hasn't aged since the last time I saw him. Which was when I was twenty one. That was two yrs ago. I've known Caesar since I was seventeen. He actually saved me.

Flashback:

I'm walking home from school late since my mother decided to not pick me up even though I was working on schoolwork. I am thankful I had packed an extra jacket because it's really cold out. Flipping my hood I put an earphone in and begin listening to an oldies playlist.

Return to Me by a Dean Martin begins playing and I keep walking. I walk past a gas station and several guys call out to me. I ignore them as I walk. The cold air stings against my exposed skin causing me to sink further into my jackets. I shift the bag on my shoulders and my vision sharpens. I can feel my body want to shift but I keep it at bay. I can't. That side of me is something that should never come out.

I keep walking and walk past the same bar I pass by each time my mother decides to not pick me up. I hear footsteps running towards me and try to pick my pace up. A guy who reeks of alcohol steps in front of me and stops me.

He says,"Darlin, you look exhausted. Come have a drink with me and rest. I'll give you a ride later."

I shake my head and say,"I'm fine."

I try to get my arm free from his grasp when he yanks me towards the bar.

He says,"I said cmon."

My fangs descend and I rip my arm from his grasp. I slip my backpack into my hands and swing it hitting the man in the face. The sound of bones breaking can be heard and I see his nose is obliterated. He wails in agony and touches his face.
He looks at me when he sees the blood and anger is all I feel radiating from him.

He says,"You bitch."

The shift begins to happen and I try to hold it back. I'm so busy trying to control my other side I don't notice the man charge me and he backhands me. A clicking hiss escapes me as half my face changes to scales.

The man is too drunk to realize this and he charges at me. I can't fight him. I'll kill him if I do. I throw my arms up in an x block as a black and white blur gets in front of me.

"Hmmm...maybe you can explain why a worthless excuse for a male is trying to harm an innocent young woman."

I look up to see a tall figure dressed in dark blue jeans, and a leather jacket holding the man by his throat. I notice a sword is hanging from a holster around his waist. I get up and see the side profile of the male figure.