Wander's Origins (Part 8)

Screwball woke up due to the noise, although quiet. 

"What do you think you're doing?" asked Screwball, shoving Wander aside.

As Screwball walked past him quickly Wander's hands started shaking in defense. "It's not what it looks like! I just bumped into it and... and..." Then he paused. Lying wasn't okay either. First stealing, then lying? What has Wander become?

Screwball frowned and turned to try and fix the broken glass. But while Screwball was distracted, Wander gathered up some feathers inside of the hat and ran. He already broke a glass, attempted to lie and now was stealing the hat and feathers? Today was an unusual day.

He quickly shoved the feathers into the pillow and went straight to sleep. Tonight, his pillow felt like he was sleeping on a soft patch of cloud. Maybe he could explain- or lie (he hated doing that)- to Screwball later on the next morning.

Wander woke up. He slept soundly after a while of constantly wandering the galaxy and a night with sleeping with a whoopee cushion tucked in his pillow. But Screwball seemed dissatisfied. But then again, Wander could talk him out of his frustration with him. Even if that required telling a few weird banana puns to cheer him up. 

"Hey Wander-o. You're coming with me." said Screwball, not even saying good morning. Wander was surprised. He expected to be yelled at or something like that but then again, Screwball wasn't his dad. Wander nodded and followed him out of the ship. They landed on a very calm-looking planet. A lot of people seemed to be enjoying their time there. It's best they didn't disturb the peace. 

It looked like a vacation planet since there were beaches and resorts everywhere. Maybe him and Screwball could just relax here! But Screwball had other plans.

"Alright, you know the drill. And before you woke up, I bought new batteries! These ones last a few years even!" said Screwball, holding up the tickle machine.

"But Screwball, everyone else looks so happy here! Let's just leave them be shall we? Why don't we just lay on the sand and maybe go for a swim and get back in the ship right after!" said Screwball, offering to help these folks in near danger. He tried to say this as calmly and patiently as possible but it was no use. Screwball would never listen to him that easily.

"I'll do it this time!" said Screwball then targeting the person right next to him. Wander needed to stop this. These people looked so relaxed and Screwball was disturbing the peace! Wander immediately jumped in the way and stood in the way of the gun. 

Then, all the feathers blasted Wander a few feet away from Screwball. These feathers were way more ticklish than he thought. He held his stomach and started laughing so hard, tears sprang to his eyes. Screwball laughed at Wander as he was on the ground, helpless and laughing, unable to move that easily.

"S-S-Screwball! Turn it off!" he said, laughing and stuttering while saying so, unable to make out clear words. He immediately turned it off and Wander lay there, panting and breathing heavily as Screwball looked at him with a wide and creepy grin on his face.

"Screwball what was that for? These people are trying to rest peacefully and get away from all their stresses but you're here using your tickle machine and basically ruining all this!" yelled Wander, near tears. Screwball was getting hard to handle and Wander finally wasn't having it and snapped. Screwball just kept laughing and went back to his ship. Wander decided to follow him in there.

"Oh boy was that funny! AHAHAHA!!!!" laughed Screwball, banging his fists on the table. But Wander wasn't going to let that slide.

"I'm so sick of this Screwball. Folks should be free to find their own happiness you can't force them to have fun!" said Screwball, making panicky hand gestures in order to get his point across.

"But don't you want others to be happy too?"

"We talked about this Screwball, I only present the positive path I don't force you to follow it. Maybe you can be more like that! Come on, please?"

"NO WANDER. YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO LIKE YOU'RE MY DAD OR SOMETHING. GOT IT? YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A HELPLESS AND WEAK AND ANNOYING LITTLE CREATURE WHO'S CONSTANTLY GETTING IN MY WAY! SO YOU'D BETTER SHUT YOUR ANNOYING LITTLE HIPPIE MOUTH!"

Wander gasped. He wasn't easily hurt but then again, this is how it was going to be huh? But then again, Wander wanted someone he could really depend on, someone he could really talk to and he thought Screwball might help him with that, since they had near the same goals in life, helping others. But the way it was done was different. Maybe he could talk to that Sylvia girl who captured him earlier. She seemed to have a soft spot for him and thankfully didn't turn him in to Threat.

So Wander decided to go for a walk....