Chapter 1

disclaimer- I own nothing but the plot

a few things timeline wise and age wise may be changed to fit the story. Percy was 18 when the events of the 2nd giant war took place and in this fic, he is close to 19 and may turn 19 in the story, idk i might give him a fun little birthday. 

also quick PSA for anyone reading, anything that doesn't say 'updated version' or 'rewrite version' at the bottom of the chapter is absolute shit and probably will not make sense as this rewrite is a lot more of a slow burn and has a more developed plot! 

Steve Rogers P.O.V

Things were going pretty well for a while. No crazy potentially world-ending crisis, no supervillains to battle. It was peaceful. Steve dared to even think that it was too peaceful. And that's how he ended up sat down in a briefing room where Fury was giving a new mission out, something about detaining a terrorist. As he passed the surprisingly think file around, he glanced down at it to look at the name and photo attached. The immediate shock hit as he saw that it was just a boy, with raven black hair and sea green eyes. Nothing about him screamed terrorist, and in the photo he was laughing next to a sandy haired girl. His name was Perseus Jackson. We didn't know that much about him, but he had a long list of crimes including, but not limited to: blasting a hole in the St. Louis Arch, hitting his school bus with a cannon, dropping his class in a shark tank, and destroying several national monuments. The meeting concluded with the grim words,

"He may look harmless, but mark my words, there's something about this kid that isn't right."

What Steve really didn't understand was why they needed the whole team (or as much of the team as they could gather on short notice) for one eighteen year old suspected of terrorism. It wasn't like he was a villain committing mass genocide and trying to enslave the human race. He shrugged this off and suited up anyways, orders were orders after all. He met up with the others who had been briefed and headed out to complete the mission.

~1 week later~

They had severely underestimated what they were getting into. Typical. They'd failed to capture the boy and some of the best heroes on the planet had been utterly humiliated by a teenage boy that just barely qualified as an adult. And that brings him to the present moment where the team had gathered once again in an attempt to take down the teen, this time calling in more help from afar. They were waiting for Thor and Loki (A/N he's technically an avenger in this story, a part-time avenger, he's still  morally grey but he's a good asset to the team) to come from Asgard to help, certain that with two gods on their side this time, they would be able to take this Perseus Jackson down. 

Percy P.O.V

flash back to the 2nd giant war

It all happened so fast. He didn't even have time to register it until it was too late. Everything had been going well. They had been winning. He'd dared to hope that they could turn the tide and win the entire damn battle and how wrong he was.

He and a scattered group of demi-gods from both camps were fighting Gaia and her armies and holding their own pretty well all things considered. He was trying to help the others where he could, but he couldn't be everywhere. He was just one person. He'd been dueling some earthborn who were trying to attack a downed camper when suddenly he saw Hazel fall from out of the corner of his eye and heard Frank cry out, his voice filled with anguish. Screams filled the air, tortured cries of friend and foe alike rang out across the carnage. He finished off his earthborn and spirited across the battlefield to get to Frank and Hazel, almost tripping on something. He looked down and bit back a cry of horror at the mutilated corpse of a kid from Camp Jupiter, but he had to push on, keep going, there was no time to honor the dead now, now he had to get to his friends, he had to save them.

He fixed his gaze back on his target. Frank was cradling Hazel's lifeless body in his arms. There was blood. So much blood. Her eyes stared blankly out at the sky and they seemed to accuse him. "I trusted you Percy. And you let me die." is what he saw in them. He stood, frozen, unable to move, helpless. He'd lost many people, many friends, but it never stopped hurting and he never stopped feeling the guilt. He blamed himself even more for what happened next. Frank was too overcome by guilt to fight back. He was attacked. They knew his weakness, somehow those cursed monsters knew. They burned up his firewood.