Chapter Three-Breaking rules & Secrets

~~Luka's point of view~~

It's Wednesday. I have back to back clients, and my tiny human fan club is right on time. I look forward to having him there now. I look forward to seeing him every day. He always comes out after I start my first car. I haven't been able to talk to him since Sunday. He has been out, but I have just been busy. I don't know what it is about that kid, but he is impacting my life.

I get busy with the car I have in front of me. I have to change the battery and do a tune-up. It was brought in by a tow truck. It's a single woman who had no idea what was wrong with her car. I had gotten the battery changed and spark plugs. I was getting ready to change the fluid when I see something move.

I look around the hood of the car and see Phoenix standing there. He doesn't see me, and I don't want to scare him, so I wait for him to turn towards me. After a few minutes, when he doesn't, I make a noise, and he looks at me.

Luka: "Hey, Phoenix. Are you ok?"

Phoenix: "I want to see what you're doing closer."

Luka: "Does your Sissy know that you are here?"

Fawn: "No, she did not. You are in trouble, mister."

Phoenix: "I just wanted to see."

I look at this girl who looks like she either sixteen or seventeen. She looks like she hasn't slept in about a week. I am now more curious than ever about what is going on with this little boy.

Fawn: "I am so sorry, sir. I watch him. I took my eyes off him long enough to use the restroom."

Luka: "He's ok. He isn't bothering me. I don't mind if he stays. I can keep an eye on him and work at the same time."

Fawn: "Pepper would kill me."

Luka: "Pepper?"

Fawn: "My sister. His mom. We've told him it's ok to watch but not to bother you."

It makes me wonder if Phoenix is the mayor's kid. He was with a woman named Pepper the other day; there can't be many people with that name around here, I don't know. What I do know is this kid in front of me is about to topple over from being tired.

Luka: "My name is Luka Wild."

I stick my hand out to her. She takes my hand.

Fawn: "Fawn Morrison."

Bingo. I bet this is the mayor's kid.

Luka: "Look, I know you don't know me, but I can see you are tired. Let him stay with me, and I'll send him home at four forty-five. I know that is when he goes home. Your sister never needs to find out. You won't tell mommy, right, Phoenix?"

Phoenix: "Nope. It's our secret, Sissy."

Fawn: "Are you sure?"

Luka: "I am positive. Go get some sleep. Be sure to set the alarm. Little dude here will be sent home promptly at four forty-five."

Fawn: "What about lunch?"

Luka: "I have food. I am human."

Fawn: "You don't have to do this."

Luka: "Yes, I do. He can be my assistant."