Oracles of Ice 17

Gaielle had been ashore for two bells before she heard the pounding of hooves in the distance. The moment she had broken the surface, and felt the water be expelled from her twins' sea lungs, she heard soft cries from Rusalka. The sound of a baby crying had never been a more pleasing sound than at that moment. Just as she had suspected, the baby's earth lungs inflated, forcing water from her gills so they would have room to expand, and both girls were screaming. She had no idea what she was doing with one baby, let alone two. Genevieve had a point about raising twins, and Gaielle feared that in the city of Frigate it would be even more difficult. She had no friends, no family around, and no support system—only a few guards whose jobs were to make sure she towed the line.

The evening was warmer than she remembered earthen mornings being, but the winter was past, and spring was upon the colonies. When Aethelfrith approached on his horse, she noticed he hadn't even worn a cloak. She had been at sea for so long she had missed the snows and freeze of winter. The thaw had raised the sea level a little, but the tide was headed out, so her rock was still visible.

Gaielle waved at him, and he jogged down the rocky outcropping, smiling the whole way. When he was only a few strides away, his happy expression changed to one of shock, and then his face lit up bright as the morning star.

"Hello," she said, speaking first. He seemed to be speechless. She giggled as she waited for him to talk. He knelt on the rocks beside her and leaned over her gazing at the babies.

"Two?" he asked, sounding incredulous.

"Two." She grinned. The two screaming infants demanded to be placated. She fussed with the kelp wraps until she could position their mouths near her breasts again and they both latched on.

"Twins..." he sighed and leaned back with a hand on his forehead.

"Yes, twins... girls..." Holding the infants firmly against her body, she turned to face him. Her fin was nearly dry, and she knew her legs would make the transition soon. Blood still seeped out of her body, and she had no clue what to do when she had earthen legs. She was a bit nervous about it and embarrassed to say the least, not knowing how earthen women handled the matter.

The babies were much heavier out of water and her arms began to grow tired. The birthing and swimming she had done had exhausted her. Her stomach growled, and she grimaced.

"You look tired."

"It's been a long night, Aethel."

"Why didn't you come? Where have you been? I've waited for so many moons. I visited the shore..."

"The council...didn't turn out favorably."

"What happened?"

"I was banished from my home. My name was stricken from the records, Aethel. I am sentenced to live in the city of outcasts and criminals. I can't return to my home with my sister."

Aethelfrith gave her a look of sympathy and scooted closer until his knees were touching the bend in her fin. She hadn't been this close to him in so long she had forgotten the physical chemistry they shared. Butterflies swirled in her stomach when he leaned forward to kiss her. As she shifted to lean into him, Rusalka wailed, losing her connection with Gaielle's breast. Gaielle smiled as her cheeks flushed and sat up straight, repositioning the baby so she could nurse.

"It seems life will be a bit different with babies," she commented.

"What have you named them?"