chapter two - otto

the day after the party was actual halloween, and things were real busy at the diner.

all the employees wore their costumes, aprons around waists and nametag on chests. otto was woody from toy story, a play on his last name.

he freaking loved that movie.

some little kid said he couldn't be woody, because he had long hair, so otto promised he would cut it as soon as his shift ended. it was a lie, but it made the boy smile.

not like he'd ever see the kid again.

when his break started, otto decided to leave the diner and get lunch across the street. he liked wendy's, so he opted to go into the fast food place despite knowing it was probably as gross, kitchen wise, as work. when he walked in, he passed the bathroom and saw some redheaded guy yelling at his friend, to hurry up and finish taking a shit.

awsten hated diners.

they weren't in the mood for small, congested places even if it was halloween, their favourite holiday, and the only reason they weren't watching stranger things again was because jawn threatened to take a shit on their carpet if awsten didn't leave the apartment.

he wanted to go to the diner, but awsten refused. "if you're going to force me into public interaction, let me choose the location."

"okay, where?"

"wendy's is literally across the street."

when the two leave, they hear a waiter promise some kid to cut his hair.

the two sat at a table, talking about the previous night and sharing fries. "so," jawn said, popping one in his mouth. "i figured it out."

"figured what out?"

"how to find your 'sunshine boy'—i'm kind of instagram famous."

jawn flipped his hair, and awsten laughed. "you are not."

"800 followers is fame, now let me finish."

"fine, continue!"

jawn rolled his eyes, but listened. "i make a post describing the guy, post a photo of you and your not at all cringe worthy cat ears, and say to dm me if anyone knows anything about him."

"what if," awsten sips their coke. "he sees that, and decides it's creepy?"

"it's romantic."

"what if he's dating someone?"

"he went through a haunted house alone."

"i need to take a nervous shit."

meanwhile, the person from the party crossed otto's mind throughout the day and when he got home. grace called him to tell him how he saw such a romantic tweet from a guy named geoff, and how geoff was helping his friend find someone they saw at a party. otto agreed it was cute, then talked about the cat ear, purple haired individual who sucked at mini golf.

otto didn't have twitter, so he never saw the tweet.

haunted house person was really pretty. their eyes looked like they didn't even match, which made them even prettier. they had stubble on their face, which is why otto started to flirt in the first place.

facial hair does things to him.

he wished haunted house didn't cross his mind, because he wished his stomach didn't turn throughout their banter, and how it hurt when he never got their name, and how he will never see them again because los angeles was big and otto wanted to move back to his family's farm in houston and pretend that night never happened.