chapter six - otto

he worked a double shift all week long, which caused his feet to ache and head to pulse.

"i'm going to die here," he informed chloe as he hung up another order on the carousel, spinning the metal around and turning to look at her. "will you write my obituary?"

"you are so dramatic."

he laughs, as does she. they take turns complaining about each other's complaints and go out into the lobby, exchanging glances and notes from their pads.

if not for her, otto would have quit his job long ago. chloe allows him to eat the cookies for free and provides some sort of entertainment.

they've never hung out after work, or before for that matter. he knows she has a boyfriend called geoff and he has a horrible pullout game, and she was one of the first people to comfort otto after the breakup, but they've never seen each other out of uniform.

he should invite her over.

"you busy after work?" he asked, picking up empty plates from abandoned table. "cause you should come over, hang out."

"hang out? outside of work?" she feignws a gasp. "scandalous!"

otto smiled. "yeah, i'm going to take you to my shed and kill you."

she rolled her eyes. "a shed? in la? you're a filthy fucking liar, otto wood. a liar and a fraud! i will have your head for your slanderous slander! watch me! yes i'll come over."

"you're so fucking dramatic," and otto laughed again, shaking his head and making his way to the back.

he cleaned up the rest of his section and filled his orders before trading shifts with a new employee, one he didn't bother to remember the same of.

"i'll text you my address," he told chloe as he left out the front door and removed his apron.

as he exited, he made eye contact with awsten as they entered.