Chapter 3: Modernization

It was the year of 1940, the Furness Railway was later bought by the LMS, Edwin was pulling a goods train to Barrow in Furness, on the other end of the line. 

"Good morning, Edwin."

"Hi, Barry. How're you doing?"

"Doing good, but I was held up by a 9F who burst his safety valve."

"You mean Murdoch? The 9F who wanted peace and quiet?"

"Yes, but Neville was there to help him to the works."

"I'm sure they said-"

Suddenly, a loud boom came from the direction of the yard! Edwin and Barry bolted to see what happened. 

It revealed that a 4F Fowler named Frederick, had collided with a pair of LMS Black 5 twins named Richard and Roger.

"What happened?!" Asked Edwin.

"Don't blame us!" Huffed Richard. "This clumsy engine ran into us!"

"Yeah, we were just minding our own business; until Mr. Clumsy wheels had to run in unnoticed and nearly de-railed us!" Retorted Roger.

"Probably not considering we finally managed to work." Sighed Frederick.

"Ugh! I'll get the breakdown crane; you three stay there." Edwin sighed.

Edwin had arrived with the breakdown crane, and lifted Richard, Roger, and Frederick back onto the tracks. 

"Now then, try not to get into anymore accidents next time." Edwin groaned.

"Yes Edwin, sorry Edwin." Huffed Richard, Roger, and Frederick.

"How do you handle those three engines so well?" Asked Barry.

"Oh, it's just a knack." Edwin chucked.

But secretly, he had got it from Edward.

"Oh Edward, wherever you are, I hope you are safe."

Meanwhile on Sodor...

"Alright, Edward; I've found something in the back of the shed."

"Hmm? What is it, driver?" Edward asked.

Edward's driver took out a letter from a small notebook, as well as a folded up piece of paper; he unfolded it, and it revealed a picture of four FR Class K2's. Edward's fireman read the letter.

'Dear Edward, 

Some of us were still upset about you leaving for Sodor, but I figured you needed to show what us K2's can do! I'm still wondering what you're up to on Sodor, and I hope I can visit you someday, but that'll have to wait; until then, take care!

Sincerely, Edwin.'

Edward looked onto the letter, and could only smile.

"Edwin, Christopher, Edison, and Eduardo." He sighed. "I'm such a jerk..."